Chapter 13

Hot shot was still in the hospital getting treatment for his brain cancer. He was recovering from having surgery. He just had another surgery to remove the other tumor in his head. Hot shot felt sore from the surgery but was doing well. Hot shot was going to have to wait a few weeks before starting chemotherapy again.

Today Hot shot saw his child life specialist Skylar. "Hello Skylar," Hot shot said.

"Hello Hot shot," Skylar said. "Hot shot qualifies for a wish from make a wish," she said.

"A wish?" Hot shot asked.

"That would be good for him," Quickshadow said.

"Yes he could use some happiness now," Heatwave said. 

"Wish for what?" Hot shot asked.

"The wish coordinator will explain," Skylar said.

"Hello I am Flora I am your wish coordinator," Flora said. "There are five wish categories, I wish to go, I wish to be, I wish to meet, I wish to have, and I wish to give," she said. "I wish to go is to go some place you always wanted to go," she said. "I wish to be is be anything you want to be like have certain career," she said. "I wish to meet means you can meet anyone you want to meet who is alive today," she said. "I wish to have is to get something you really want." she said. "I wish to give is a wish to give back to others," she said.

Hot shot already knew what he wanted and he had been wanting one since he was three years old. "I wish for a Dalmatian puppy," Hot shot said.

"I thought that was what he was going to say," Heatwave said.

"Yes he has been asking for one since he was three years old," Quickshadow said.

"I love those firehouse dogs," Hot shot said. 

"Puppy wishes are common, many kids wish to have a puppy or another kind of pet," Flora said. "It is normal and many kids love it very much." she said. "Kids of all ages enjoy wishing for pets," she said. 

"I have no problem with it," Dr. Zhao said. "Pets can be very healing and provide so much comfort to one who is sick," she said. "I want to wait till Hot shot is more recovered from his surgeries though, at least four more months," she said.

"Alright I will get started on it," Flora said. 

"Oh boy my own puppy," Hot shot said. Hot shot was really looking forward to it. He was so excited about it. He was looking forward to getting his puppy. "My own puppy," he said. 

"You are very excited about it I see," Quickshadow said.

"I am very excited about it," Hot shot said. "I am hoping I get it very soon," he said.

"I know it will be a welcome addition to the house," Heatwave said.

Finally at the end of February Hot shot was able to go home for a short while. Hot shot was happy to be home and relax for a while. Hot shot still had a very busy schedule though.

His parents had several alarms through out the day set. They were all for his different medicines. Hot shot had a lot of them to take too. Before dinner while they were waiting for pizza they ordered to arrive an alarm went off. "Hot shot time for medicine," Heatwave said. "I will get it this time," he said. 

Heatwave went to where they kept the medicine. He found the ones that were on the schedule for this time of day. He grabbed them and got the right does in the syringes. Then he saw Hot shot standing there. "I'm ready," Hot shot said.

"Very good," Heatwave said. 

Hot shot took each one of the five medicines that Heatwave got out for him. Hot shot swallowed down the medicine. Then he drank some juice to help with the taste. Hot shot was happy to be able to get the medicine down. 

"Good job son," Heatwave said. "You are handling this like a real champ and I am proud of you," he said. 

"Thanks daddy," Hot shot said.

Then they answered the door because there was a knock. Quickshadow grabbed the pizza. "Thank you so much," Quickshadow said.

"You're welcome have a nice evening," the delivery boy said. Then he left and went back to his car to make his other deliveries. 

Quickshadow brought in the food. Hot shot and his parents ate the pizza while watching a movie. Hot shot was happy to be home with both of his parents.

Hot shot had to stay inside most of the time. Hot shot hated having to be confined indoors most of the time. Hot shot preferred to go outside. 

But Hot shot could go out sometimes, but only if he was feeling okay and sometimes he would have to wear a mask. That way he couldn't catch germs. Hot shot was even able to return to school. Many of the kids had questions about what happened in the hospital this time. Why he had these big scars on his head. Why he was bald too. Hot shot's friends were asked the same questions. 

"At the hospital I got a lot of treatments, and medicine," Hot shot said. "The scars from the surgeries I had to help remove the tumors from my brain," he said. "I am bald because the treatment makes my hair fall out," he said.

"Same goes for me too," Hoist said.

"Same for me as well," Medix said.

"For me too," Whirl said.

"Me as well," Wedge said.

"How do you take that medicine?" a kid named Nate asked.

"We take it by injection into our backs, through our Hickman lines, and by mouth as a liquid or pill," Medix said. "Some kids with cancer take medicines more than one way," he said.

"That's right," Hot shot said.

"Is it fun in the hospital?" a girl named Maddie asked.

"There are plenty of things to do in the children's hospital, there are playrooms, playgrounds, a child life zone, a library, a food court, a hair salon, a frozen yogurt place, a gift shop, and a build a bear," Hot shot said. 

"But there are still times when it can be very boring," Wedge said. 

"Also kind of scary and lonely," Hoist said.

"It can be hard to be in a hospital," Whirl said. 

"But the important thing to remember is the doctors and the nurses and all the staff there are there to help kids who are hurt or sick get better," Medix said. "My uncle is a doctor who works at Cook Children's hospital where we get treated he says the doctors there help kids from many places in the USA and around the world," he said. "Many children's hospitals do," he said. "For kids with certain illnesses, or conditions, or injuries they will need their own team of medical people who will help them with their condition," he said. "They will do their best to help the child get better," he said.

"That is kind of neat," a kid named Jason said.

"We know," Hot shot said.

"We are glad you guys are back," a boy named Marcus said.

"We are glad to be back," Hot shot said. "But there will be times when we will be gone again for more treatments, tests and check ups," he said. "Or might have to leave early," he said.

"Our doctors said it might be a while before we are healthy again," Medix said. "Until then we need to be brave and listen to them," he said.

"Yes and we are not alone," Wedge said.

"We have you guys," Hoist said.

"We have our families," Whirl said.

"Our doctors too," Medix said.

"All together their is no problem we can't face," Hot shot said.

They all had great day at school. They were all very happy. 

Hot shot was determined to kick cancers butt and get better ASAP!