Chapter 4 - Just the same

JULIAN

It was January 18 2021, 5 days before my little sister Gigi's birthday, she was just adopted because my parents had a problem conceiving, she was only 4 when she got adopted. I was 14 years old, my little sister was 7 years old. I was supposed to be watching after her, we went out because I wanted to treat her ice cream, it was the least I could do to make up for ruining her tea party with her friends. Well, who could blame me? I just wanted to do a little prank on them. I basically dressed up as Shrek, I had a costume that I used last Halloween and I scared them. What? It was just a simple 'Boo!'. Well, the result was mom scolded me and my dad just laughed. My lil sis Gigi was practically jumping up and down as I paid the Ice Cream Scooper, hers was Strawberry and mine was Chocolate. "Thank you," I said to the guy and he nodded. I turned around and the worst terror rushed through my body, I dropped both of the ice cream cones and tried to run after her, but it was too late. The car was faster... If only I was paying more attention to her, if only I didn't let her out of my sight for just one minute, if only she didn't go to the road and she looked both ways...

I hate that memory, I hate it so much I wish I could just forget about everything and everyone. It's my fault, I wasn't looking after her, and because of that I hate myself so much. I feel so guilty and ashamed of myself-

"Julian, are you alright?" My father's voice breaks me from my mental thoughts, I glanced up and nodded my head.

"Yeah, just thinking." I replied, taking my final bite of bacon and drink my water afterwards. It was six-twenty in the morning and I was eating my breakfast, my father too. He'll drive me to school because it's more safer. Some day, I'll bring the courage to beg my father if I could take a driver licence test.

"You know you can always talk to me abou-" He says but I interrupted. "No, it's fine. Don't worry about it." I replied, standing up from the chair and pushing it back.

"Well, if you insist." He says, shrugging his shoulders.

I nodded my head and took my bag, putting it on one shoulder, "I'll wait for you on the porch." I suggested, glancing down at his food and noticing he was already finished. He nods his head and I make my way outside and sat on the porch.
_________________________________________________

ANASTASIA

I gasped and sat down, I was sweating and tears rolled down my cheeks as I recall my dreams. It was the car incident...this would at least happen 2-3 times a week. I would dream of it, at first I thought it was nothing. I would wake up, terrified just like today and ever since, I was scared of it so it became my own nightmare. It started when I was 15 years old, it stopped for a year and started happening again. I'm so sick of it, and whenever I dream of it, I would be paranoid for the rest of the day. Ma and Paps don't even notice, and I don't want to tell them that it came back. It would just make the notion ten times worse and I would just panic, and I don't want them to worry.

I looked at my clock placed on my bedside and it was exactly 5:30 AM, my alarm clock made the bleeping noises and I shut it off. I pushed my way through my bathroom and stripped off my clothes, I couldn't bring the courage to even look at myself so I went straight to the shower.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the hot shower that I needed, I wrapped my body around my towel and went to my wardrobe, finding a spare uniform, which I have 3 in total. I wore the uniform and wore my eye-glass, went downstairs to find mam cooking breakfast and Xander who is sitting on his usual chair, taking a quick nap.

I swiftly and quietly sat next to Xander, careful not to wake him up.

"Oh, hey, darling!" Mam spots me, and Xander beside me jumps, probably startled from mammy,'s energetic voice that's capable of breaking glasses and to wake up a guy from a coma.

"Jesus, ma. You scared me!" Xander whined and I laughed, so did ma. "Morning, ma and Xander." I said and smiled.

"Someone's staying up late, hmm?" I teased Xander beside me and he narrowed his eyes at me and straightened his posture.

"No...I'm just, tired." He replies, forcing out a yawn.

I winked at Xander, giving him a sheepish looking smile and he rolls his eyes in response.

After a few more moments, ma finally serves us with sunny-side up eggs and bacon. I scooped out rice from the nearby rice cooker and placed it on my plate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
School went smoothly, no one noticed my anxiety or the way my legs constantly bounce up and down every once in a while. Or the way I tap my pen on my desk.

I was able to take down notes without my thoughts mentally consuming me.

At the fourth period, which is math, we were assigned to do a project.

Mrs. Flores placed each of our names written on a paper and into a little box, we're supposed to get one paper and the name written is our partner for the project, and we're also going to need to say the name of our partner out loud and choosing a partner is prohibited. Oh, and one last thing, we need to show Mrs. Flores the name so to prove we're not cheating. The ones who've already been picked can't get a paper in the box anymore because they'd been picked.

It was my turn, the teacher came up to me with the box and I closed my eyes as I started moving my fingers on the box and I picked out one, I opened my eyes and read out the paper.

"Julian." I said out loud just as the other students did. Wait, Julian?
_________________________________________________