Chapter 5 - My luck

JULIAN

Mrs. Flores said she asked for the Principal's permission for us to stay after school for the project, the project is simple, making graphs for maths, it's also a presentation. The projects deadline was at Friday, so we have exactly 3 days.

I got paired with Anastasia, the one who I just called last Monday for notes, I was too paranoid to ask for a pen. I couldn't move and I couldn't even ask to go to the bathroom, is that bad?

I could recall her turning around to see me when she found out her partner was me, and that face, is still so familiar I can't get it out of my head.

At lunch, I decided it would be time to ask her if we'll do the project today or some other day. if I wanted to ask her at lunch, that'll mean I'm going to have to ask her in the cafeteria and EAT at the cafeteria. It's not like I had social anxiety, or maybe I do but I just need time to settle in. This is new for me. At my recent school, I wasn't really this idle, but all of my friends were there. And now I've moved.

I sighed as I lined up for the food at the cafeteria, getting my usual soup, burger, pizza and a box of milk.

"Julian!" A voice called out to me as I finished getting my food, I turned around and saw it was Anastasia.

"Yeah?" I asked casually, as if I wasn't about to find her and ask about the project. I approached their table, which is just a simple long table, "You wanna eat with us?" She asks, smiling brightly and for the first time I notice she has dimples. She indicates to her and her friend sitting at her right. I nodded and sat down at the chair on her left, putting my tray down.

"Thanks," I said, turning my head to see her. "No worries." She replied while taking a bite of her own meal, of course I wasn't planning on watching her eat so I started eating my meal too.

After a while, I finished eating and we started engaging in topics of each other, like where we live, what's our favourite subject etc.

Not after a while, we agreed on meeting tomorrow after school instead of today because she has this dentist appointment she has to go to later.

Five simple things I found out about her:
1. She hates History and MAPEH subjects.
2. She loves reading and writing.
3. She's good at English and Science.
4. Her best friend is the girl who gave me her number, Natalia.
5. She can't see anything without her eye glasses.

Now don't get me wrong, she's very friendly and interesting but there's something definitely going on that girl's mind, the way she zones out every minute and fiddles with every single damn thing she holds. And definitely the way she bounces her leg up and down.

But it's none of my business, I should probably just shut up.
_________________________________________________

ANASTASIA

Me and Julian agreed on meeting tomorrow after class, because I had a 'dentist appointment' today. Which is a lie, every Tuesday, I had a therapy session ever since that stupid nightmare started coming back.

Ma and Paps knows about it, about the dream that's why they started forcing me into those therapy appointments.

Which is fine, they want me to get better.

After classes were over, I went straight to my therapy session.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The dreams are back?" Joanne asks.

"Yeah." I replied flatly while I crouched on the chair I was sitting on.

"What does it feel like? Does it still feel the same? Like it's real? Or just like vividly?" Joanne asks while writing something in the notebook she was holding.

"The same. Like it's real." I answered shortly, looking down and cracking my knuckles. Trying my best to avoid eye contact because I just can't.

"Do you know what exactly triggers it? Maybe something that happened recently that happens to cause the recurring dreams? Because the last time I remember you said that the dreams were gone for a year then just came back like that." She retorts.

"I can't let go of that memory, it's always fresh in my head. Even though it happened 8 years ago." I replied, frowning and finally gained composure, so I lifted my head to face her.

"See, that's the problem. You need to learn how to leg go of things, because things come and they go. This won't stop until you let go of it," she says. As if there was an on and off button in my head, and it's more easily said than done. "I'll try to." I said instead.
_________________________________________________