Chapter 24 - Birthday boy & miracles

JULIAN

I woke up with the feeling of someone laying beside me with their arms wrapped around me. I rubbed my eyes and looked down, Anastasia? The hell is she doing here this early in the morning? She was awake, staring at the wall but yet to move. She wasn't wearing her eye glass.

"Ana?" I said, my morning voice taking over me. She looked up and smiled. "Morning birthday boy." She said, kissing me on the cheek. "How did you get here?" I turned my head to my bedside to look at the clock, it was 4:27 AM. "That's a secret." She said and I turned my head towards her, smiling. "I love secrets." I said, wrapping my arms around her, pulling her close to me.

"I was wondering if we could go to the beach, since it's not far away, it's just a mile walk from here." She suggested with a smile plastered on her face, looking at me with those doe fucking beautiful eyes. "I'd be done for that, baby." I said, giving her a final squeeze before letting her go and finding something to wear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We walked our way there, like she said, it wasn't really far. The sky was still dim as the blue sea water and sand comes in view. I was holding Ana's hand, she was jumping up and down as our feets meet the cold sand. "So cold!" She squeaked. "Trust me, the ocean's colder, darling." I said, chuckling as she runs away from me. She was fast as hell.

"Hey, come back here!" I said, running after her. She was laughing, she sounded so damn beautiful, and she also looked like it. Her long black hair breezes in the air as she runs. I caught her in my arms, "Gotcha." I murmured, hugging her tightly, she hugged me back. "Oh my god! Look at the sunrise!" She says, pointing behind me, I turned my head around. "It's beautiful." I said, turning back to her.

"But nothing beats your beauty," I muttered, letting go of her, she smiled brightly, her eyes never leaving the sunrise. "Really?" She said, turning her head towards me.

"Really." I responded, cupping her face with both hands, leaning in, stopping exactly when our face was just inches away. "Waking up next to you is the best birthday gift." I murmured, tilting her head up and our lips finally met.

Her lips were so sweet, so compelling in a way I can't explain. I can't imagine a world without her, she changed me. She helped me moved on from the past and focus on us, loving her is so easy.

Whatever pain she carries, mine and hers are the same.

I pulled away, my hands still on her face. She looks at me, her eyes glistening with light even though it's the color of chocolate. Her cheeks were red, that somehow made me proud. I pulled away my hands and placed them in my pocket.

"Let's go back!" She said, taking my hand in hers. "What?" I said, raising both of my brows. "Lets go back!" She says again, basically dragging me in the direction home. "Whoa, whoa, chill, darling. What's the rush?" I asked her, she finally slowed down. "I dunno." She responded, shrugging her shoulders.

"Last one is a loser!" She said and started running on her heels, I ran behind her, making sure to keep my pace slow so she'll win. As a past player of rugby, I can run 7 miles without even stopping. Practices are tough.

When we arrived at the front porch of my house, she turned around and took my hand. "You do the honours." She said, gesturing at the door. There was something about her devilish smile... "You sure?" I asked her and she nodded her head.

I opened the door and walked in, the lights suddenly opened and I was surprised with flying confetti and shouts of 'Happy birthday!' I turned my head towards Ana and she smiled at me. Distracting me with those dimples and eyes. "Go in!" She said, chuckling.

I hesitated for a second but finally walked inside, all of my male friends in my old school were there, Luke, Charles, Miles, Gabriel. "Oh, dude! Julian!" Luke, my best friend from my old school stands up from the couch and slapped my back. "Hey, I missed all of you." I said, giving him the slightest hug then the other boys approached me, giving me back slaps and asking how I'm doing. My mother, who pops out of nowhere sings happy birthday to me, carrying a chocolate cake with both of her hands.

It was a simple cake with 'Happy 18th Birthday, Julian!' written on top, and 'From Anastasia and mom.' written on the bottom. My father was beside mom, singing and smiling along. And Ana was at my father's side, singing along.

Ana smiled at me and I returned the favor, when the song was finished, I wished on last time and blew the candles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me and my friends were sitting in the living room, all catching up on stuff and eating cake.

Mostly, I befriended some of them because of rugby, but Luke was always there for me.

Well, thank goodness it was just me, my family, friends and Ana. I don't like many people coming to my birthday, especially if I don't really know them. Not that I'm unfriendly or something.

While my friends were talking in the living room, I excused myself and looked for Ana, who was sitting at the table, cradling 2 months old baby Celestine in her hands. Celestine was surprisingly entertained, almost as if admiring Ana.

"Hey," I said, sitting next to her. Ana lifted her head and looked at me, smiling. "Hey." She responded, turning her head back to Celestine. "Is she really this quiet? Like, she doesn't cry? All she does around me is coo." She asked and I laughed. "Oh, trust me. Around me, she's a loud crier. Remember that time when her screeching woke you up during a call?" I nudged her shoulder and she nodded her head.

"I definitely remember that." She chuckled, rocking Celes slightly in her arms. "So, you helped my mom do all of this?" I asked her and she nodded her head, still not taking her head off Celes who was reaching for her face and cooing words I can't understand. "Your mom wasn't supposed to be planning a surprise, but I came in and volunteered. I did most of the decorations, your mom and dad did the cooking."

"You didn't have to, darling. Thank you so much." I said, standing up from my seat and pressing a light kiss on the top of her head, making it linger for a moment when a light flashes us and makes a bleeping noise. I turned my head and saw mom holding a Polaroid camera, Ana chuckled and gently placed Celes on her high chair.

"Oh, perfect!" Mom says, smiling and pulling out the paper that came out of the Polaroid, waving it around and giving it a few taps. "Mom, seriously?" I said, frowning. She would always do this, taking candid photos. But I don't mind, although she could've at least asked Ana. Mom shrugged her shoulders and gave Ana the photo, taking Celestine and finally leaving us alone.

"So cute!" She squeaked and I leaned in to look at the photo in her hand. "I know, darling. Do you want to come in the living room? I'll introduce you to my friends." I suggested, placing both of my hands on her shoulders. She lifted her head and turned to me. "If that's fine?" She murmured, looking so innocent and breathtaking.

"Of course it is, that's why I'm asking you." I responded and her cheeks turned into a warm shade of red. "Okay.." she said and stood up, taking my hand and pulling me close to her as we walked.

As soon as we sat down on the coach, I introduced Anastasia as my girlfriend, my friends all gaped at me, especially Luke, saying that it was a miracle. But she was my miracle, if that's possible because it's true.
_________________________________________________