Chapter 9 - "Ana, remember me?"

JULIAN

It was November 16 2016. I was just 9 years old. Me and my parents were going home from our vacation from the beach. We stayed there for 3 days, but we had to go home immediately because my aunt, Lizzie had a 'baby shower'. Whatever that even is, I was buckled at the back seat, my mom was in the passenger seat and dad was driving. "Mom, what exactly is a baby shower?" I asked mom, still confused about the concept of it. "It's a celebration, one of which we're going to." My mom replies, turning from her seat to look at me and I smile, "Did I have one too? Baby shower?" I asked mom. And she nods, "Yeah, baby. You did have one, your daddy here was expecting a girl, and I was betting for a boy." Mom flashed dad a grin and I just stared at them.

"Shit!" My father hissed and turned the steering wheel 30 degrees, pulling over the road. I just froze and stared at mom and dad in panic. "Mom, dad, what's happening?" I asked, my heart beating fast. "Darling, stay there, okay? Don't get out of the car." My mother's voice was panicked and rushed as they both get out of the car, leaving me in alone. I unbuckled my belt and hopped to the passengers seats, dread flows through my body as I look at the scene. There was blood, at least two bodies laying on the road, one girl who was kneeling and crying in front of the two bodies, she had black hair that was long, her hands were shaking.

Mom and dad's back was turned, my father holding a phone to his ear, probably calling 911. Me, who was only a kid and reckless decided to leave the car and not listen to my mommy's warning. I rushed over the girl, who was my age, I kneel beside her. "Hey, are you okay? Why are you crying?" I asked her, trying to see her face but her hands were buried in it, she was sobbing uncontrollably. "This- is my ma- and pa-" She replies, hiccuping in every word she says. She finally lowered her hand, I was able to see her.

She had a button nose and bow-shaped lips. Her skin was pale, her eyes were dark brown, her face was drowned in tears. "What's your name?" I asked her, just staring at her face, as if I were trying to memorize it. "My- name- is Anastasia-"

"Nathaniel! What did your mother say!? Stay in the car!" My father scolds me, "But dad-" I tried to explain but dad interrupted. "Go back in the car! You can't see this!" My father shouted at me, and I groaned. The girl named Anastasia was staring at me, brows furrowed and frowning. While my father looks away, I unclasp my necklace and gave it to her to to cheer her up. It was a simple gold key necklace my mother gave to me. She's definitely going to get mad at me for giving it away to a random stranger, but I'll just lie about it.

I wanted to stay, but I couldn't so I went back in the car and waited.

I gasped and rose from the bed, sitting down. I was sweating, I couldn't comprehend if that dream was just made up from my head, or it really happened and I'm just re-living it.

But either way, that must be the reason why something about the girl Anastasia is so familiar, there's only one way to find out.

I looked at my clock that was placed at the top of my bedside, 3 AM Saturday. I had the random urge to say something to Ana, I needed to. But if the dream isn't real, or it's not a memory it's just my mind doing things to me, then I'm gonna make a fool of myself.

I pulled out my phone and sent a text to her number.

J: Ana, remember me?
_________________________________________________