Chapter 17 - Gone

ANASTASIA

TW: Threatening and abduction

"Ana, can we talk?" Julian says and pulls me into a less crowded area. Mr. Thompson, who apparently woke us all up at 7:20 AM, had been talking about educational bluffs, like for example, what to do when there is a fire, earthquake, etc.

"Yeah, what is it about?" I replied, looking at him while he chewed his bottom lip. It's currently 12:37 PM, I didn't really have a bad hangover which isn't what I anticipated. The teacher still has no idea what happened yesterday at night.

He sighed and hesitated for a moment, "I um..." He says and stops, shaking his head. "You what?" I replied, arching a brow at him. He cleared his throat and finally met my eye. "I have a middle name, it's Nathaniel." He says and I frowned, still confused about where this is going.

"Well, Nathaniel. That's new, why are you telling me this now?" I retort, crossing my arms. "A long time ago, my parents and I witnessed an incident, and it was your family's incident." He says and I gape at him. "Don't tell me..." I didn't finish that, I didn't want to, and I don't want to believe it.

"I am. I was the boy, at first I dreamt of it but I didn't believe it, I thought I was paranoid and my mind wanted something to do with you, but when you told me about the necklace, it only confirmed it." He says in a calm tone. I couldn't believe it either, I don't know how to feel but all I know is he made me look like a fool, all this time he knew and he didn't tell me.

"I can't believe it," I said, shaking my head, my brows furrowed. "Me too, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." He said and tried to reach for me. But I pull back, my head down as my life flashes before my eyes. Thinking about the incident makes me irrationally anxious, the next thing I knew, I was running on my heel in the forest. Not even thinking of looking back and stopping while Julian's shouts began to fade as I ran even more.

When my legs began cramping, I halted and tried to catch my breath. I spun around, it was still day, the trees were thicker, compared to the others. I sat down, my back pressed on a tree and I tried to gain my composure back when I heard a branch snap. I froze. The footsteps from behind was getting more louder and closer.

I slowly stood up, my back still pressed on the tree and I spun around, panic surges through my body in and out. There was a man, probably around his 40's, he was wearing a black shirt and black leather jacket, along with black pants and black boots. "Calm down, don't run I just-"

I acted fast, I turned around and ran fast, not planning on giving up when I felt something shot through my leg and a gun shot echoed, it hurts running so I ceased for a moment, my  calves felt sore, like something went through it. I swore under my breath and cried, he shot me in the leg!
_________________________________________________

JULIAN

"ANA!" I shouted at the top of my lungs, Mr. Thompson recently called a police detective team when Ana ran away, we've been searching for 3 hours, the police detectives only allowed me to search with them because I was the suspect. I'm not going to give up until I find her. I don't care if Mr. Thompson scolds me, or even Natalia, I just need to find the damn girl.

Why? Because I cannot lose her, and it was partly my fault. All we found was the key necklace Ana wore, and a bullet wounded with blood. The forest was large, I could get lost in it if I was dumb enough, but thanks to the flags we buried on the ground that serves as our cue.

"Listen, kid, you need to go back it's gonna get dark sooner. We don't want another kid missing on our radar." One of the male detectives says and I sighed. "Fine," I replied and started walking back to the camp site.

This is my fault, of course it is. I swear, if the police don't find her sooner I'll find her myself.

"Find anything yet?" Natalia says as soon as I arrive back at the camp area. I shook my head. "Does her parents know already?" I asked her and she nodded her head, frowning. "They know, and they're probably worried as hell." She says.

We're supposed to be leaving today, but I'm not. I'm going to stay here.
_________________________________________________