Chapter 11 - Overslept

JULIAN

I woke up from the sound of banging on my door. "Wait! Just give me a second!" I shouted, grunting and looking at my clock on my bedside, 7:28 AM WEDNESDAY. Shit. The bus is supposed to leave at 7:20 AM. The door flew open and I pushed out of the bed. "Julian! I'm sorry I overslept, I didn't have time to wake you up!" Mom says, and I shake my head. "Don't worry mom. Not your fault." I took out my phone and saw 3 notifications sent by Anastasia.

A: Julian, where are you?
A: The bus won't leave until you arrive.
A: The driver is giving you only until 8 AM! Be quick!

Shit
Shit
Shit

I sent her a quick message.

J: I'll be there! I overslept!

I did the quickest shower I had ever taken, brushed my teeth, wore a trouser and a black t-shirt. I grabbed my bag that I yesterday prepared, and took my phone. I head downstairs and saw mom already prepared breakfast, a waffle, and a sandwich in a container.

I finished the waffle. Thank goodness dad was awake because if he wasn't, I was going to walk my way through school.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mr. Holt! You are late!" Mr. Thompson who I found waiting outside the bus scolded me.

"Sorry, I kinda overslept..." I replied, my lips pulling into a thin line.

"Well, the next time we go on another trip and you are late, we won't be waiting for you anymore like we did today," Mr. Thompson shakes his head. "There's two unoccupied seats at the back." Mrs. Thompson says and I nodded my head, entering the bus with my head up and my hands around the strap of my bag. I spotted Anastasia on the third row of seats but she was sleeping on her friend's shoulder, Natalia. I quickly sat down at the back seat, throwing my bag on the floor.

As the engine started, there was a woman in a uniform who was carrying a microphone and she started speaking. She was standing and flashing us her bright smile.

"Hello?" She taps the mic. "Hello everyone! Good morning, good morning, good morning! My name is Susan, and I will be your host for today's trip to the 'Camp Site'! It will be a three hour ride, so I'll be here to entertain you all!" She says, but I was too tired, so I decided to take a quick nap.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up from the sound of something snapping loud and a shriek, followed by a sound of laughter. I rubbed my eyes and tried to figure out what was happening.

"Oh! Looks like someone broke a seat!" Susan says and goes to the third row, to where exactly Anastasia is sitting and holds out a hand, Susan blocks the microphone and whispers something.

And just like that, Anastasia whose face was red comes out and grabs something and strode towards me with her head down. She was wearing a white t-shirt and black pants.

"Is it okay if I sit there?" She asks me, indicating the seat at my right, and finally meets my eye, I get overwhelmed with that same familiar feeling I nodded my head and she flops to the seat next to mine. My seat was at the end, near the window.

"What happened?" I asked her, turning my head towards her. "My seat broke, it was really wiggly but I ignored it." She replies, meeting my eyes while a small smile crept on her face, her dimples flirting with her cheeks.

"I guess that explains the laughter that woke me up," I replied, shaking my head unable to hold my smile. "Yeah," She replies, breaking eye contact and looking away before meeting my eyes again. "By the way, what did you mean last week when you said 'remember me'?" She asks, making air quotes with her fingers. She asks the question I've been trying to avoid all day.

"Oh, nothing." I replied, flashing her a smile and watching her every move at the corner of my eyes while looking out the window. She seems uncomfortable, cracking her knuckles, playing with her hair, bouncing her leg up and down.

"You okay?" I asked her, turning my head towards her and she nodded. "You sure?" I asked her again, because to me she didn't look okay. "Yeah, I'm sure." She replied and shifted her body to her left, and for the first time, I catched a glimples of her necklace.