Chapter 23 - Just four days

ANASTASIA

It's been 2 weeks since Julian asked me to be his girlfriend.

And these are all of the things I've learned bout him:
1. He hates ice cream.
2. He used to play rugby at his old school.
3. He's a great cook.
4. His love language is physical touch and words of affirmation.
5. His favourite colour is dark red.
6. He lives 4 miles away from me.
7. His birthday is on August 24th.

His birthday is on Saturday, which is four days away from today.

I've got a big surprise for him, obviously, because it's his 18th birthday. It's supposedly a special occasion for one.

I sighed and picked up my coat and wore it. Every Sunday, I am to help Ma buy groceries, but she was busy so it got postponed today.

I quickly slipped my phone to the pocket of my coat and stride downstairs where I met Ma leaning casually on the door of the foyer.

"Come on." She said and walked out of the door with me trailing after her.

When we got to the car and Ma started the engine, we engaged in some topics about school and stuff. She would always ask about how me and Julian are doing, and yes, I told her.

As soon as we arrived at the grocery store, Ma gave me all the grocery list and we parted our ways.

Mine was just a couple of things, eggs, bacon, hotdog, pancake mix. I was on my way to go to the pancake aisle when I saw a woman with black hair carrying a baby that looked identical to Celestine. I tapped her shoulders and she spun around with a smile on her face. "Hello, do you need help with anything?" She says in a soft tone, just like Julian.

"Um, are you Julian's mother? I'm Anastasia-" I said but I got caught off. "Oh my god, it's nice to meet you! You're Julian's lucky one, aren't you? I knew I recognised you!" She responded and I smiled.

"Yeah? Well um, I was wondering, what are your plans for his birthday?" I asked her and Celestine started sucking her thumb, staring at me with her huge eyes. "Oh, nothing big, actually. We're just celebrating at our house."

"I don't know if I'm invited or not, but I can tell you, I'm a pretty good surprise planner," I told her, trying to convince her. "Really? Well, I'll definitely be needing you! I'll send you the time, okay?" She replied and I nodded my head.

We exchanged numbers after that. Ma scolded me for taking so long, she thought I was being lost, which wasn't the case.

As soon as Ma and I finished buying groceries, I asked her if we could stop at the Amazon, to my surprise, she didn't ask why. And I wasn't going to tell her because I would just risk it.

I brought a couple of birthday party decorations, like balloons that is coloured dark red, 18 shaped balloon, cannon poppers, etc. I also brought Alice a Kindle E-reader, she literally finished all the books I gave her in a whole day of each book. Something about gifting people things and seeing their reaction makes me happy.

Mom eyed me as soon as I entered the passenger seat with a handful of store bags, "What?" I said, shoving them in the empty compartment on my foot. "What are all of those for?" She asked me, her brows arched. "I'm helping someone with a surprise birthday celebration." I replied, shrugging my shoulders and looking at her with a sheepish smile. "And who must be that someone?" She queried, basically cornering me. "Julian's mom for Julian's birthday." I responded with a slight grimace.

"Julian's mom?" She copied what I said. I nodded my head, legs bouncing up and down. "When did you meet her?" She added. "Just today," I responded, looking out the window. "Oh, no wonder what was taking you so long." She says, starting the engine. She wasn't upset, thank god.
_________________________________________________