Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Summer Walker POV

The spray tin slid away as my foot extended out on the filthy floor. The stink of rat pee and cocaine permeated the abandoned structure, but it was sufficient for our youthful actions. Rajay sucked, and I could hear him igniting the bong. It passes through the tube.

"Fuck, this is some good fucking shit! Whoa!" Clearly high on drugs, he yelled. I, too, was on the point of becoming high, but I couldn't go all the way. I had withdrawn from the activities an hour ago. I want to be as sober as possible before I see my stepmother.

"I was thinking maybe we could hang out at Crossroads Joint later." Saab suggested, and her tiny knees crept to the spray can, which lay at my feet.

"We need a job." I suggested, leaning my head on Rajay, my boyfriend. He kissed the top of my head, and I patted his worn-out, ragged pants.

Saab's sneer could be heard as she crossed to the other side of the terrified wall. The walls around us were dangerous to remain in for even a second. The concrete screams, and it wouldn't be; it'll crumble any minute. Adding spray paint just complicates matters for the wall.

"Why don't you ask your mom to set us up with some drugs?" Virginia made light of the situation. I glared at the black-haired girl. "What? Did I hit a nerve?"

"Do not listen to her." Rajay stated that his breath smelt like roast steak. Rajay smokes more than he eats, which causes him to be underweight, with his shoulder bones visible through his shirt.

"She's not my mother." I snapped.

"Well, she slept your mother and married her, so she's legally your mother."

"She is not." I gritted. "I hate her." My stepmother's face entered my mine and so did her nagging and loving touches. I love it. I simply don't know how to express her how much I cherish her and appreciate her being there for me.

I could hear Saab shaking the tin, and there was a little ball inside the can that mixed the paint. It flushed out and blew out on the wall, in a midnight black, and she sketched nothing specific, just lines, like a kindergarten student. I freaking hate her.

"Getting back to what I was saying." I whispered as my fingers danced with the delicate plait of my skirt. My stepmother constantly allows me wear plait skirts, which make me appear like a lovely young lady. I called it controlling. I didn't mind my dress choices, which included a sweatshirt for my slim arms and a modest short skirt for my not-so-bouncy thighs. My boyfriend adores it. I adore it. I wish I had come up with that stylish concept.

"We need a job. We're 21 and squandering our lives." I gazed around the building. "Wasting away like this. It won't be soon; we're all tattooed."

"You mean you. You're mom is in the Mafia, not ours."

"She's not my mother!" I screamed in defense. The gangster lifestyle claimed my mother's life when she was shot in the head. "She is not my mother." More collectedly, I said.

"Can't you do anything about it?" I asked Rajay. Saab and Rajay were cousins.

"Saab, leave her alone."

Saab turns and grins at him. "Ok, lovebird." She moves away from the wall and arrives at his side.

Virginia sat to the side, sucking in smoke; of us all, she was the most addicted, and she seemed to take her fair share of harder narcotics; pot was only the tip of the iceberg for her.

"Where can we get a job, Summer?" Saab asked. I could hear the snark in her tone.

"I'm not sure, in a grocery or anything."