Chapter 16

Chapter 16
Summer POV

I looked up and down the road before sneaking inside Virginia's house. She had asked me over, and everything we wanted to speak about could be handled over the phone; I simply wanted to give Roman a fit when she realized she couldn't locate me.

Virginia's residence was not ideal because she lived in a low-income neighborhood. The Russian-controlled town experienced a slump and never saw the light of economic growth. The region has become known for drugs, gangs, and violence. I had to take great risks to get here, especially since I was covered with Roman marks.

If she was in the public glare, so was I, and I despised it.

That was my least favorite aspect of her existence. I will most likely be in danger because of her.

"Where is Rajay?" She inquired as she stacked the several cans of beer out of the sofa and onto her arms. Her parents are alcoholics and drug users. She walked over to the kitchen and placed the empty can with the other cans. With so many cans, she could make a fortune at the can machine, if a can wasn't just worth a quarter.

I shake my head. She was present when Saab was shot. I know Saab was a bitch from hell, but she was a member of the the group. My eyes welled up.

She opened the fridge, and all to show was beer.

"Would you like a beer? That's all there is."

I smiled and nodded my head. I took the can and noticed it was hot after touching it with the back of my hand.

"The power has been cut. Two days now."

"Do you want money? No, I will give you some money. Have you eaten?" Virginia didn't appear to eat much, or perhaps she didn't have the opportunity to feast. At times, I felt horrible because booze and narcotics were her "full belly."

"Nah, I am alright."

I know she would not accept it. Being a burden was not what she wanted.

"Where is Rajay? I've been calling him, but he hasn't answered. I'm sure he's unhappy that he has to take his own cousin's life."

I want to laugh in her face at that concept. Rajay had no guilt for causing his own cousin death. I don't know who Rajay was anymore. Do I want to be with this boy? Do I want to run away with him?

That is out the window, since he inked a three-year contract with the Devil. I resent him so much. "He works for Roman." I announced quietly.

I looked up to see Virginia's response. She appeared to be genuinely glad that he was working for her. Why? I would not want to work for her.

"Why aren't you cussing him out like I do in the back of my head?"

"I do not know." She shrugged. "It's difficult for all of us, but he's got to do what he has to do."

My brow wrinkled; I understood that people in the ghetto or slum speak a different language than the upper middle class and rich. They feel that taking up a gun or selling drugs was the solution. It is. However, it presents a dangerous exit strategy. I would not advise somebody to go out of their way to create it.

"Rajay has a choice, and we have a choice."

"We don't. I was thinking about stripping." She whispered.

"Wh-what?"

I feel like I'm losing everyone. They were all getting caught up in the wrong manner, but I couldn't blame them any longer.

"When?" I murmured.

"Well, my auntie mentioned she had a link to the owner."

"We can...we can simply move away, get that cottage, and work together as best friends and—and." My lips quivered, preventing me from speaking. "There are better ways out. But I'm only a girl, and my mother died, leaving me with someone who cares for me, so I don't know what it's like to struggle."

"It's only for six months, and then we can figure something out."

I shake my head. Once the money she got from climbing the pole, gets to her, our plan will be out the window. I only wish things were different. I wish the lady I have emotions for wasn't so wrapped up in the web, or more likely, owned the web.

The beating on the frail door stunned us, and we both looked at each other in dread. The floorboards groaned from the movement above, and in the next second, an angry muttering, small man walked down the stairs, wearing nothing but a soiled white shirt that barely covered his hairy bulging tummy.

I cover my nose from the stink of his intoxication and something else. The knocker on the door hammered on it once more.

It sounded like it was going to fall off its hinges. Virginia and I both swallowed.

"Did you owe anyone?" She inquired about who I believe was her father. He groaned and struggled towards the door.

He let out a muffled shriek, and our heads turned to see the barrel of a rifle jammed down his neck. His hand was in the air, and he staggered back at a very slow and consistent speed.

Virginia and I remained hobbled together on the sofa. "Where's my little girl?"

I breathed a sigh of relief as I heard Roman's voice. But hissed in rage at how she terrified us half to death. She can be extremely theatrical.

She carefully took the gun out of his mouth and smacked him across his bald head, knocking him out in spot, his spit streaming over his shirt.

She rounded the corner to see Virginia and me. She turned the rifle on Virginia and she jumped up. "I'm sorry!" She shouted. Roman grabbed her hair and dragged her into a neighboring wall in one swift motion.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled, rushing after a terrified Virginia. "Leave her alone."

Her security began piling into the home, armed with guns. I attempted to cover Virginia, but Roman grabbed me. "What are you doing to her?" Are you feeding her drugs?"

She struck the girl across the face, causing her to fall to the ground.

"Leave her alone." I shouted, gripping Roman's arm. "She is not doing anything! Leave her." I yelled as loudly as I could. Virginia gently stood back up. Roman was about to give another strike, when I moved in front of her. The strong hit landed on my face and knocked me over.

"Summer!" Both Virginia and Roman exclaimed. Virginia came to my aid initially, but Roman snarled at her and pushed her aside, so Roman helped me instead. I peered up at her, my vision blurred. She softly tapped my cheek.

"Hi, baby." She quietly called out to me. I tried blinking away the blurriness, but it appeared to worsen. "I'm so sorry, Summer."

"Mhmm." I grumble, "I just want to go home." My eyes moistened. "I want my mom." I attempted to ignore her and not feel anything for her, but I had to give up when I saw how helpless I was and that she was the only person I wanted to touch me.

"I will take you home." She hoisted me up, and my feet rose off the ground.

"I will call you Virginia."

"You won't." Roman murmured.

"I will."

"You will not."

"I will."

"You—"

I dug my teeth into the flesh of her chest, and she groaned. "I swear, if you weren't so weak, I would slap you. Do not bite."