Arena

As they entered the arena, Henry turned to Sophie with a serious expression. "You will be participating in a match today as part of your assessment," he revealed, noting her startled reaction. "This will allow us to observe how you handle real-time strategic decisions and physical challenges under the pressure of competition."

Henry continued, observing that Sophie needed further explanation to fully grasp the situation. "Here at the academy, we engage in these combat matches once a month as part of our training program. These exercises serve two purposes: firstly, they provide students with an opportunity to apply their strategic and physical skills in a real-world context; secondly, they allow students to challenge others in a manner that addresses and deters bullying within our ranks."

He paused to ensure his words were understood. "For most participants, it's a chance to hone their abilities in a safe, regulated environment. Today, thou hast been included not solely for thy assessment but also as part of this customary event. It's an occasion for thee to showcase thy skills, as well as for others to resolve disputes or demonstrate their prowess under watchful supervision."

Sophie nodded, trying to absorb Henry's explanation. While she understood the purpose behind the match and appreciated the academy's commitment to maintaining a safe environment, her nerves were still palpable. The thought of engaging in such a public challenge stirred a deep anxiety within her, yet knowing the context helped muster some courage to face the daunting task ahead.

Henry led Sophie toward the preparation area, where participants were gearing up for the matches. As they entered, Sophie spotted Mia busy assisting others. Her presence in this setting was a surprise, and as Mia noticed Sophie, her expression mirrored that astonishment.

"Sophie, you're participating in a match?" Mia exclaimed, her voice a mix of excitement and concern as she hurried over. "I was assigned to help out with today's matches, prepping and supporting participants, but I had no idea you'd be one of them!"

"It's good to see you here," Mia added, her surprise fading into a supportive smile. "Don't worry, I'll be right here to help you get ready. We'll make sure you have everything you need. Just remember, it's all about strategy and keeping your cool."

Sophie felt a surge of gratitude for Mia's support. While the prospect of participating in a match was still nerve-wracking, having a familiar face there to guide and reassure her made the situation seem a bit less intimidating.

As Sophie adjusted to the atmosphere and Mia helped her with the final preparations, a senior student stepped forward to address the gathering crowd. The room quieted down as he began to outline the flow of the day's events through a series of announcements.

"Welcome to this month's series of matches," he began, his voice carrying confidently over the assembled students and spectators. "Today, we have a lineup of challenges that will test the mettle of our competitors in various ways."

He paused for a moment before continuing, "Among today's matches, we have a special event. We don't often have the opportunity to witness a match solely for assessment purposes, but today we are honored to include one such duel. Sophie, a newcomer to our academy, will be participating in a match that doubles as part of her entrance assessment."

A murmur of interest spread through the crowd. Sophie felt a mix of pride and nervousness swell within her as all eyes turned to her momentarily. The senior student's announcement had set her apart, making her match one of the focal points of the day.

"This is a unique chance to see how new talent measures up against established benchmarks," he added, emphasizing the rarity and importance of the occasion.

Mia squeezed Sophie's shoulder reassuringly. "You've got this, Sophie. Just focus on what you've prepared, and you'll do great," she whispered, trying to bolster Sophie's confidence.