Elite Class

As Sophie entered the elite class, her heart lifted at the sight of Ealdred, who waved her over to sit by his side. The familiar warmth of seeing someone she admired was a welcome comfort in the unfamiliar setting.

Her moment of happiness was abruptly shattered by Georgina's piercing voice from across the room. "What on Navaria is she doing here?" Georgina's words cut through the chatter, turning Sophie's brief joy into annoyance.

Settling next to Ealdred, they quickly dove into conversation. Ealdred leaned in, his tone serious yet curious. "I heard some surprising news... Is it true that you've challenged Argus?" he asked, his eyes searching hers for confirmation.

As they discussed, Sophie's attention was suddenly captured by the door swinging open to reveal Argus stepping into the room. Her heart sank into her stomach; seeing him there, so unexpectedly, amplified the reality of her bold challenge. The shock was visible on her face, marking a stark contrast to the comfort she felt just moments before beside Ealdred.

Argus paused for a moment at the sight of Sophie, his expression revealing a flicker of surprise before quickly settling back into his usual stoic demeanor. He pondered silently, wondering how Sophie, a newcomer, had managed to secure a spot in the elite class so quickly. Shaking off his initial shock, he walked confidently to his usual spot.

The instructor greeted the class and began by outlining the day's agenda, which focused on strategic leadership and advanced tactical training. This was no ordinary classroom; it was an assembly of Navaria's future leaders, where every discussion and exercise was aimed at sharpening their decision-making and leadership skills under pressure.

The class was divided into teams for a simulation exercise designed to test their strategic thinking and teamwork. Sophie found herself grouped with Argus, Kath—who seemed closely aligned with Georgina—and Regan, a friend of Ealdred's. The task was complex, involving the allocation of resources and deployment of forces in a hypothetical conflict scenario. This diverse group composition added an extra layer of challenge for Sophie, requiring her to navigate both the strategic demands of the exercise and the interpersonal dynamics of her team.

As they strategized, Argus's authoritative tone dominated their group's discussion. Sophie, feeling the need to assert her own perspective, challenged one of his decisions that seemed overly aggressive. This sparked a heated debate between them, drawing the attention of the entire class.

"Are you suggesting that caution is a better approach than strength?" Argus questioned sharply, his gaze intense.

Sophie held his stare, her voice steady. "Strength is more than just aggression. It's about knowing when to act and when to plan more carefully. We need a balanced strategy, not just brute force."

The room fell silent as the other students watched, intrigued by Sophie's courage to stand up to Argus. The instructor finally interjected, praising the spirited discussion. "This is exactly what the elite class is about—testing ideas, challenging each other, and refining our strategies. Well done to both of you for showing strong leadership qualities."

Despite the initial tension, the exercise resumed with Sophie actively contributing to their strategy. Her suggestion, initially met with skepticism, ultimately led to a successful outcome in the simulation. From Argus's perspective, Sophie's persistent ability to challenge him was both irritating and refreshing. For years, few had dared to stand up to him so boldly, and her defiance added an unexpected and invigorating dynamic to his usual dominance in these exercises.

As the class ended, Ealdred quickly caught up with Sophie, walking out of the room alongside her. Their easy camaraderie didn't go unnoticed by Georgina, whose disdain for Sophie deepened, viewing their interaction as a direct challenge to her own standing.

Argus, meanwhile, found himself unusually preoccupied with the sight of Sophie and Ealdred together. His reaction surprised him; he wasn't accustomed to caring about such matters. However, before he could reflect further, Sytric, his second-in-command and friend, teased him with a knowing grin, "Jealous, are we?"

This comment caught Argus off guard, and he scowled in response, dismissing the notion with a grunt. Yet, Sytric's words lingered in his mind, intensifying his irritation towards Sophie, the Earthling who continued to disrupt his usual stoicism. His reaction was more about annoyance than any deeper feeling, or so he reassured himself.