Chapter 27: I'll do whatever it takes

*** Disclaimer: I'm so sorry in advance for grammatical errors you might encounter, English is not my first language, please bare with me. Thank you :)

◦•●◉✿✿◉●•◦

The hospital lights flickered softly as another day settled in. Freen sat by Becky’s bedside, her eyes heavy with exhaustion but unwilling to close. She had not left the ICU since Becky was brought in and it's been two days, her vigil unbroken by hunger or fatigue. The hum of machines and the steady beep of monitors were her constant companions.

"Ms. Chankimha," the doctor said softly, "Your wife is starting to stabilize. We're going to move her to a private room where she can continue her recovery with a bit more privacy and comfort. This is a good sign."

Becky's condition had shown signs of improvement despite she still hasn't gained consciousness, and the medical team had decided it was time to transfer her to a private room.

Freen’s eyes filled with tears of gratitude. “Thank you, Doctor. Can I go with her?”

“Of course,” the doctor replied with a reassuring smile. “You can follow us now.”

As the nurses gently moved Becky from the ICU bed to a gurney, Freen watched with a mixture of relief and anxiety. The doctor approached, her expression calm but encouraging.

"Everything will be fine." He said with a gentle smile.

Freen nodded, a sign of relief washed over her. She trailed behind the gurney as it was wheeled down the corridors of the hospital. The private room was bright and quiet, a stark contrast to the busy ICU. The nurses carefully transferred Becky to a new bed and adjusted the monitors and IVs before stepping back to give Freen some space.

Freen took a deep breath as she sat beside Becky’s bed, her heart swelling with cautious hope. Becky’s face still bore signs of her ordeal, but there was a subtle strength in her peaceful expression.

Minutes passed, and Freen’s anxiety began to ease, replaced by cautious optimism. She whispered softly to Becky, her words a mix of encouragement and love.

"Baby," she murmured, her voice trembling slightly, "I know you’re fighting with everything you have. I’m right here with you, and I’ll be here every step of the way. You’re not alone. I'm sorry, love. Please come back to me. I missed you so much Baby. Please keep fighting. I will do everything for you to forgive me. I love you, Bec."

Hours passed, and though Becky remained unconscious, her vital signs continued to improve. Freen stayed by her side, watching over her with unwavering attention.

The quiet was interrupted by a soft knock on the door. It was a nurse, smiling kindly. “Ms. Freen, we’re here to help Ms. Rebecca settle in. Would you like to step out for a moment, or you can stay if you prefer?”

Freen shook her head. “I’d like to stay, thank you.”

The nurse nodded and began her work, checking Becky's vitals and making sure everything was in order. Freen watched intently, absorbing every detail, every sign that her wife was on the mend.

Once the nurse finished and left, Freen sat back down, her exhaustion catching up with her. She hadn’t eaten or slept properly since the surgery, and her body was starting to protest. Just as she was about to close her eyes for a moment, she heard a familiar voice outside the door.

"Freen?" Nam called softly, stepping into the room. "We heard about the transfer. How's Becky?"

Freen looked up, her eyes red and swollen. “She’s stable. They said it’s a good sign, but I’m still so scared, Nam.”