You know what screw the Nether~ (Gameknight999)

Note: Uhhh, this was fun. I sped up the plot, but we're not to the conclusion yet!! We've got this!!

Tws: Bad memories, war mentions, swearing

Words: 3,194

-

The hot nether air burned all around him, and Gameknight found himself fighting to keep his mind at ease. Though it hurt to admit, after all the work he had tried to do, the fact that the Nether still triggered his paranoia and panic was mildly disconcerting, especially when he had to fight Herobrine or something at the end of this journey. Somehow, it hadn't seemed real until now, even the battle with the Greifers, which had left him dripping blood onto the soft netherrack, had not seemed real, not compared to this place.

Distantly, Gameknight could hear the sounds of withers charging up and firing, but based on Fit's reactions to the sounds, they were a safe distance away from the group. ...for now.

Gameknight gripped his two swords tighter, feeling the comforting handles seem to hold him back. Maybe he was crazy for thinking such a thought, but it seemed he was always fighting, it didn't feel that wrong to see his weapons as people after a while, even if they changed over time.

He glanced up at Phil and Techno, who were following directly behind Fit and whispering about Tommy, their missing friend. Clearly, the weapons he associated himself with weren't the only things that could change. People would make new friends just like they could trade blades. Gameknight glanced back, watching Etho stumble behind him, one hand over the glowing hole in his pumpkin head like that was the thing that would give the group away. He seemed almost as terrified as Gameknight did, and he watched the man's grip on a shield tighten as he held it behind him, covering their backs from any surprise explosion.

Gameknight hated the nether, but at least he was with people who could help him.

"Did that help you so much last time?" His mind teased him, "You just got people killed! How do you know this trip will be any different? You're literally walking into an ambush that only exists because you're here, what kind of safety do you think these people can provide?"

Gameknight grimaced, and was glad he was still wearing his wither skull mask when Techno turned to look back at him, a clearly reassuring smile on the half of his face not covered by the skeleton skull he wore. It seemed that in the fray, the lower jaw had been knocked to the floor. (The image didn't exactly do Gameknight any favors.)

He waved a fake smile back, and only dropped his hand when Techno nodded, seemingly satisfied, and turned away.

Despite the clear destruction outside of the thin obsidian tunnel they found themselves in, it seemed hard for Techno to hide the excitement he felt finding himself back in the Nether. Gameknight had to admit he understood it, in a way, though at this point he highly doubted he would ever enjoy a trip to any Nether, he knew the feeling of waking in his basement from a round of digitized Minecraft, and couldn't help but smile quietly at the memory. A real smile now, not some fake one. Home was an amazing place, and he missed it just as much as Techno clearly had.

Even being in a destroyed, bombed out version of his homeland did not seem to deter his excitement, and Gameknight desperately wished he could find that same feeling.

The distant burbling of lava grew louder as the group reached a hole in the tunnel floor, and Gameknight's train of thought disappeared as he glanced down as he passed by.

The Nether outside was like nothing he'd ever seen.

Despite Gameknight telling Etho earlier that he watched FitMC all the time, Gameknight was now forced to come to terms with the fact that that had been a lie. Even in the "real" world, Gameknight found himself terrified of Nether wastes, and he could now see that even a vision of this place had ever crossed his vision before.