9| First Day Drama

"Talking"
"Talking in Another Language"
'Thinking'

*Talking on the Phone*

When lunch break came, Annalise was immediately swarmed by most of her classmates. Questions and introductions flew over her head, making it difficult for her to comprehend anything due to their sudden approach and loud voices. Thankfully, Rose and Juleka noticed her situation and immediately went beside her.

"Guys, she's overwhelmed. Introduce yourselves one by one and be soft with your voices, okay?" Rose said firmly, her serious expression making the rest realize the gravity of the situation. They quickly noticed Annalise, who was behind Rose and Juleka, slightly bowing.

Adrien, walking toward Annalise with Nino by his side, was the first to realize that she was hyperventilating. He immediately ran to her side and held her shoulders, gently trying to get her attention.

"Are you feeling fine now, Annalise?" Adrien asked softly, his voice calm and reassuring. Rose and Juleka also wanted to ask but didn't want to overwhelm her further, so they stayed on the side, watching anxiously.

Annalise focused on her breathing, slowly starting to regain her composure. She nodded slightly, feeling a bit more at ease with Adrien's presence and the supportive looks from Rose and Juleka. Just as she was about to respond, Chloe's mocking voice rang through the classroom.

"Well, look at the new girl, acting all special just because she can answer a few easy questions. What a show-off, not only is she a crybaby who has no fashion sense, but she's also dumber than an elementary school brat," Chloe scoffed, her tone dripping with disdain. This made everyone, except a few students, glare at her. Adrien was about to scold Chloe for being insensitive when Annalise gently held his arm, stopping him. Despite her embarrassment, he saw determination in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as dumb people, just lazy ones. We're all blessed with brains that we can work on to improve intellectually. It's up to each person if they want to improve or not. Besides, if I'm 'dumber' than an elementary school kid, then that means I've got more room for growth. I'll fill that room with learning rather than with useless knowledge or fantasies, like thinking of myself as a queen or something," Annalise said, her voice steady.

This made everyone stare at her in awe. She blushed and was about to run away when she froze as she saw Chloe marching up to her, a angry flush on her cheeks. Suddenly, a back blocked her view from her. "Chloe, stop. She didn't say anything wrong about anyone!" From the voice, Annalise could tell it was Adrien, which surprised her by how firm his tone was.