11| Disaster

"Talking"
"Talking in Another Language"
'Thinking'
*Talking on the Phone*

"Talking""Talking in Another Language" 'Thinking'*Talking on the Phone*

"Annalise, can I ask something that might be sensitive and probably personal?" Adrien asked hesitantly. Annalise looked at him with her curious blue eyes and hummed in acknowledgment before nodding. Adrien took a deep breath to gather his courage.

"I saw some... faded handprints on your wrist. Are you, by any chance, being abused or forced at home?" Adrien asked, his voice trembling slightly. He immediately felt a pang of guilt when he saw her beautiful blue eyes widen in shock and fear. He was about to apologize when Annalise suddenly bowed her head.

"My brothers don't do anything to me. They spoil me too much, always," she whispered solemnly. "This handprint... it's from the day I ran away from my brothers when they were picking me up from your house." Her voice was soft and steady, but Adrien couldn't shake the sense that there was more to her story. Her eyes, specifically when he mentioned 'home,' showed a flicker of fear that he couldn't ignore.

"Can I ask about it? It's okay if you don't want to. I know it's wrong to remember painful memories, so I'm also sorry for bringing it up," Adrien said gently. Annalise looked at him and saw the sincerity in his emerald eyes. She gave him a strained smile, signaling that she wasn't ready to share more. Adrien returned the smile with an understanding nod.

Silence enveloped them until Annalise's stomach grumbled, making her blush and avert her eyes to Plagg, who was curled up nearby. Adrien heard it but refrained from teasing her. Instead, he told her to wait and rushed to the cafeteria. Annalise smiled softly at Adrien's concern for her well-being before drifting into her thoughts.

Her smile faded as she gazed at her bunny plush. Her usually bright eyes dimmed as she held it in her hands, carefully placing Plagg beside the pillow. She ran her fingers over the amateur stitches and patches she had sewn at a very young age.

"It seems like it's back, right, Bunbun? It's been so long since I've hugged you because of my condition..." Annalise whispered to her stuffed toy as if it were alive. Memories flashed through her mind, making her relive everything she had felt.

The darkness of her room, the excruciating pain of hunger that felt like her stomach was eating itself, the coldness of her lonely room, the mocking laughter, the whispers, the bruises, and the humiliation. Her grip on her bunny toy tightened as the flood of memories overwhelmed her, and soon, silent tears began to fall. Her face remained stoic, but her eyes were dimmed, and the tears were relentless.

Sniffles and quiet sobs filled the silent nurse's office. Though her outburst wasn't as severe as earlier, it didn't help that her memories kept replaying, each one as vivid and painful as the last. Her body trembled slightly as she hugged her bunny tighter, seeking comfort from the only source she felt she had at that moment.