19| Heirloom

"Talking"
"Talking in a different language"
'Thinking'
"Talking in the phone"

"Talking""Talking in a different language"'Thinking'"Talking in the phone"

Annalise woke with a groan, squinting against the harsh sunlight flooding her room. The rays pierced through the thin curtains, making her turn away and burrow deeper into her blankets. As she settled back, the events of the previous night surged into her memory, jolting her upright with a start.

She glanced around her room, her eyes darting over familiar surroundings that now felt foreign. Her gaze settled on the empty space where the armlet had been, and doubt gnawed at her. Had the events of the previous night been nothing but a vivid dream? Moving through her usual morning routine in a daze, she descended the stairs to the dining room. There, her eyes fell on the armlet, now neatly returned to its clear display case.

But something was off. The once-gold armlet had transformed into a striking silver, and the amethyst, previously a deep purple, now shimmered with a mesmerizing spectrum of colors. Annalise stared, captivated by the strange beauty, but James was quick to intervene, pulling her back with a worried expression.

"Don’t go near it, Anna. What if you pass out again? We were so worried last night! We thought you were going to die, with how shallow your breathing was and how slow your heartbeat had become!" James's voice quivered with anxiety as he gripped her hand tightly, preventing her from touching the heirloom.

"What? But I slept fine. Did that really happen, or are you just exaggerating because you were worried?" Annalise retorted, her tone blunt. She was well aware of how her brothers often overreacted when they were anxious.

"Yes, we're not exaggerating this time. According to the heirloom's history, it's never affected any of the females in the family like this before! They even noted that it became too hot to touch!" William’s voice was laced with panic as he cast nervous glances at the armlet in its case.

"Silence," Alexander commanded firmly, his attention fixed on his laptop. The room fell silent, though Annalise’s curiosity remained unquenched, even as her brothers looked on with mounting worry.

"I consulted Mother and Father last night. Mother was surprisingly indifferent, which spared us from more trouble. They gave me Sebastian's phone number, and I asked him to search our library for any information about the heirloom. He just responded that he would send the books shortly," Alexander explained, his fingers flying over the keyboard as the doorbell rang. Edward moved to answer it, while the others focused on Alexander, who had more to share.

"Sebastian reported finding 29 journals in total. However, out of all journals, only one is complete. The finished journal belonged to the younger sister of the Von Nacht's founder, Aseli—" Alexander’s explanation was cut short as Edward reappeared, his face a mask of disbelief.