15| The Evillustrator

"Talking"
"Talking in Another Language"

'Thinking'
*Talking on the Phone*

'Thinking'*Talking on the Phone*

Annalise arrived at the Principal's office, her steps hesitant but determined. She took a deep breath, then knocked on the door before entering. The room smelled faintly of old books and fresh ink. Mr. Damocles, the principal, looked up from his desk, adjusting his reading glasses.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Damocles," Annalise greeted politely, trying to keep her voice steady. "I was sent here by Ms. Mendeleiev."

Mr. Damocles raised an eyebrow, clearly displeased. "Sent here? And why would that be?"Annalise bit her lip, glancing around the room. "I tried to stand up for a classmate, who was also sent here, and she... she didn't like it."

"Ah." The principal's expression turned even grimmer. "If that's the case, then where are they?"

Annalise's heart skipped a beat. She had assumed Nathaniel would already be there, awaiting her arrival. "I-I don't know, sir," she stammered. "May I go find him?"

Mr. Damocles' face hardened. "Absolutely not. You are to remain here until I say otherwise."

"But sir, he might be-"

"Enough!" he barked, making Annalise flinch. "You are not to leave this office. Do I make myself clear?"

Annalise sank back into her chair, her worry for Nathaniel growing with each passing second. Outside the thin window that gave a narrow view of the hallway, she failed to notice a shadowed figure lurking. It was the Evillustrator, his eyes narrowed in anger as he watched the scene unfold.

"I won't let them scare her," he thought, his grip tightening on his pen. His heart ached to see Annalise so distressed. She had stood up for him, and now she was paying the price. Driven by his anger, he sketched quickly on his drawing pad, a wicked idea forming in his mind. The lines and shapes took form, and with a flourish, he completed the drawing.

Inside the office, Mr. Damocles suddenly yelped in pain, clutching his arm where a sharp, stinging sensation had erupted. Annalise jumped to her feet, eyes wide with concern. "Sir, are you alright?"

"Stay where you are!" he told her, brushing her off harshly. "There's something going on here, and I intend to find out what." He glared at her one last time before storming out of the office, leaving Annalise alone and trembling.

The Evillustrator, felt a pang of guilt seeing Annalise's frightened face. "I didn't mean to scare her," he thought, conflicted. "But I can't let the principal treat her like that."