Chapter 30: She's awake.

*** Disclaimer: I'm so sorry in advance for grammatical errors you might encounter, English is not my first language, please bare with me. Thank you :)

◦•●◉✿✿◉●•◦

The afternoon sun cast long shadows as Freen's car sped through the city streets. She was on her way back to the hospital, her thoughts consumed by Becky and the recent confrontation with Lauren, when her phone rang. It was Faye.

"Ar-Neung, what is it?" Freen answered, trying to keep her voice steady.

"Freen, we have a situation," Faye's voice was urgent, almost panicked. "The shareholders are demanding answers. They want to know why you haven't addressed them yet, and some are starting to question the real ownership of the company. They're pushing for a meeting. We already calmed them down for a while but that doesn't help a lot."

Freen closed her eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. "I understand, Ar-Neung. But Becky-"

"I know, Freen," Faye interrupted gently. "But we can't wait any longer. The media is sniffing around, and if they get wind of this before we do something, everything will fall apart. Nam and I are handling as much as we can, but we need you to execute our plan. Now."

Freen's grip tightened around her phone. She had known this day would come, but the timing couldn't have been worse. "Alright. Tell me exactly what's happening."

"The shareholders are demanding a meeting," Faye explained. "And our technical team was having difficulty somehow stopping the spread of news. I can see their faces Freen, I know they're trying the best they can but they're also human. If something might happen, the media will have a field day, and our father will find out before we can make our move."

Freen's mind raced. The plan to expose their father's wrongdoings was delicate and required precise timing. If the media acted too soon, everything could be ruined. "Okay. I'll head to the office immediately. We need to gather all our evidence and prepare our action. This has to be flawless."

"Nam is already on it," Faye said. "We'll meet you here and go over everything one last time. We can't afford any mistakes."

Freen ended the call, her mind shifting gears from personal anguish to corporate strategy. She leaned forward and spoke to the driver. "Change of plans. Take me to the company."

The driver nodded, and the car veered onto a different route. Freen took a deep breath. She knew she had to compartmentalize her emotions about Becky and focus entirely on what needed to be done.

Meanwhile, back at the hospital, Phon sat by her daughter's bedside, her hands clasped tightly together as she watched Becky intently. Beside her stood Mia, her nurse.

Phon glanced at Mia, her voice barely a whisper. "Do you think she'll wake up soon?"

Mia offered a comforting smile. "She's been showing signs of improvement, Mrs. Phon. It could be any moment now."

As if on cue, Becky stirred, her fingers twitching slightly. Phon's breath caught in her throat, and she leaned forward, her eyes wide with hope.

"Becky?" she called softly, her voice trembling. "Can you hear me, darling?"

Becky's eyelids fluttered, and she slowly opened her eyes, blinking against the brightness of the room. Her vision was blurry at first, but gradually, the familiar face of her mother came into focus.

"Mom?" Becky's voice was weak and raspy, but it was enough to make Phon's heart swell with relief and joy.

"Yes, sweetheart, it's me," Phon said, tears streaming down her face. She gently took Becky's hand, squeezing it reassuringly. "Oh, thank God. You're awake."