Chapter XXII. Stigma

"Taehyungie-hyung..." Jungkook calls after Taehyung, looking like he's about to cry.

Meanwhile, Jimin... is already crying. "Taehyungie..." he sobs.

"I'm sorry," Namjoon sighs, "I feel like this is all my fault."

"I was the one who suggested going to the farm..." Yoongi says, shaking his head.

"As his psychologist," Hobi says, voice tight, "I should have taken precautions---"

"It doesn't matter!" you shout, exasperated, "What does it matter??? Taehyung is goodness-knows-where and we're all standing here playing the self-blame game!"

Everyone looks shocked at your outburst, not least of all yourself.

"I... I'm sorry..." you say, feeling ashamed that you lost control like that.

"You shouldn't be," Seokjin says, "You're right. We're wasting time." He walks towards you and places a gentle hand on your shoulder. "We need to start looking while it's still light out."

"I can try tracking him," Yoongi says, looking composed once more, "although, full disclosure, I'm not banking on that. At the end of the day, Taehyung is still a predator Hybrid, and I'm just a cat." He clenches his jaw. "But I'll do my best."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You all agree to meet up in front of Yoongi's place at midnight.

As Yoongi goes off on his search, the rest of you head into town and spread out, going house to house. You ask the locals if they've seen a Hybrid of Taehyung's description. You know that if they did see Taehyung, they would definitely have remembered. His is an unforgettable face, after all.

But none of the people you asked saw him.

So you search.

And search.

And search.

Night falls... and still, nothing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your feet hurt... and so does your heart. You feel exhausted and empty.

'Maybe Yoongi is right... This is futile. Taehyung is a panther Hybrid, what makes me think I have any chance of finding him?'

But you're not ready to give up just yet. Taehyung deserves better than you giving up on him.

As a last ditch effort, and purely on gut-feel, you decide to check out the wooded area at the edge of town.

The darkness and silence of the woods give you time alone with your thoughts, the only sound being the rustle of your feet as you tread on grass and dirt.

It's nighttime and you're alone in the woods, in a town you've never even heard of before today, searching for a panther Hybrid you adopted on impulse a mere two weeks ago.

'Have I truly gone crazy?' You shake your head in disbelief. 'Maybe this is all a fever dream.'

Then, something you see makes you stop short. In the darkness, twin gold orbs float amongst the trees.

"T-Taehyung?" you call out tentatively. After you get no response, you try, "Taetae? V?"

Taehyung finally moves, though still silent, simply walking--- no, stalking towards you.

As moonlight washes over his features, you realize something that makes your blood run cold.

The Hybrid standing before you isn't your sweet Taetae. Nor is it V.