Chapter XXIV. Life Goes On

"Good. You're awake."

Your head snaps up to the source of the voice. In the semi-darkness of the room, you see the outline of...

"Taehyung!"

Relief floods your veins, flushing the panic out.

"How are you feeling?" Taehyung asks you, as if he wasn't the one who was just in a near-catatonic sta--- You shake your head. No use dwelling on the horrible events of the past couple of days.

"No? What kind of answer is that?" Taehyung prods, taking a step towards you, forcing you to crane your neck to look up at him.

"Tae... you're... you're talking to me," you tell him, astonished.

Taehyung quirks a brow.

"Still not an answer to my question," he comments, "And yes, I am talking to you, I'm very much aware of that. I'm the one doing the talking after all."

You scowl up at him.

"I can't believe you're joking about this!"

Taehyung barks out a laugh.

"Well you're lively," he remarks, "I guess that answers my question." He tilts his head, smiling at you with a mix of fondness and amusement. "Are you feeling up for a little... excursion?"

You regard him suspiciously.

"What do you have in mind?" you ask, cautious.

Taehyung's lips stretch into a smile that's both mysterious and mischievous. It makes your heart skip a beat.

"You'll see."

You narrow your eyes. Something... something is different.

You gaze at Taehyung in wonder, as if seeing him for the first time. Your heart starts pounding wildly in your chest, a fierce rhythm. There's a loud rushing in your ears. It suddenly hits you that, for the first time, your brain isn't automatically attempting to make the distinction of whether the Hybrid before you is your Taetae or V.

"Wear something cute for me, will you, [Y/N]ie? Well, cute and warm."

For the first time, you feel like...

'He's both.'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Wow," you exclaim, taking in the view of the city lights sparkling in the distance, reflected on the dark river below you, "a place with this view of the city exists?" You turn to Taehyung. "How did you discover this?"

"I just stumbled upon it during one of my night runs," he says, also taking in the scenery.

You look out at the breathtaking vista once more.

"Pretty," you mutter.

"Yes," you hear Taehyung say, "Pretty."

You look up at him, only to find that he's looking not at the cityscape... but at you.

You quickly avert your gaze, cheeks flaming. You clear your throat in an attempt to fill the silence, wracking your brain for a conversation starter. You can still feel his eyes on you, burning holes into your skin.

'But no... aren't I tired of running away?'

You look back at Taehyung, determinedly meeting his gaze head on. But...

'Why does he have to look at me that way? Like... like...'

You give up and look down at your feet.

"S-so, why did you bring me here?" you ask, looking stupidly like you're asking your feet.

"I wanted to tell you something."