Cristina

For as long as I have known Leanne, I could always see her as someone independent and steadfast. However, just as she was good in her own little world, she always knew how to take advantage of a group project. She was a silent leader and carefully watched that each aspect of the team would be just right for the ending result to be as clean and presentable as possible.

I could see this part of her shine when we had various team meetings. Usually, this isn't a thing that doctors do with their surgical team. But this is a case that has moved the neurology department and Dr. Kim knows he has a heavy responsibility on his shoulders.

I was surprised to see Aubs on the team. I thought it would be only Leanne, but Dr. Kim is a smart man. His mind is as meticulous as hers but she is more wary. She prepares for any mistake possible that could present on that day and puts it on the table for suggestions. I quietly listen to their deep thoughts with Aubs while I sit next to Dr. Brown.

Dr. Brown is an interesting man. I've never worked with this man ever before. I didn't even know he existed honestly. I could tell why. He has a very mellow attitude and his eyes always seem like he is tired or sad. At least he has a small smile that makes his blue eyes shine a little, but his monotone voice would not convince anyone when he says that he is happy to work with me. However, he is incredibly smart and kind of a perfectionist. We click well in that aspect. I always agree with each of his follow-up plans with the nurses when they are perfectly organized for the benefit of everyone.

I didn't interact with him other than when it came to updates on Jacob. But one day, I was completing a few charts on the counter of the pediatrics floor. I had a long talk with Jacob and I smiled at the laughs I had with that boy. He is so funny and wild. I can't wait for him to get his legs back. He deserves to be his happiest self at school and make his parents smile as wide as he made me with his silly remarks.

"What are you smiling about, Dr. Wong?"

I looked up to see Dr. Brown leaning on the counter by my side. I gave him a warm smile and said, "I was just remembering about a conversation I had with Jacob. I'm finishing his chart. The numbness has gotten worse and he often gets tremors in his legs. His parents say that he sometimes--"

"May I?"

That's right. He would prefer to take most matters in his own hands. I try to give him updates myself, but I try to keep it short since he eventually ends up reading the charts himself. That day, I didn't let it bother me. I just did what he asked and started to excuse myself. But he quickly stopped me and took my hand.

"Dr. Wong."

My brows rose and I looked at his large hand on mine. He cleared his throat and let go of my hand as I straightened my shoulders. I didn't want to give him a firm look like Leanne often does so I gave him a friendly smile for him to finally find the words.

"I was wondering if you would like to go out for some drinks anytime soon? Maybe after the surgery? Or later today? I would like to get to know you more."

I quickly looked around to see if any nurse was around and cleared my throat trying to find a way to reject him without hurting his feelings. I'm always so bad at rejecting coworkers. But my heart could not forget someone who set a flame in there and I gently said, "I'm sorry. I can't go out tonight. I would rather keep an eye on Jacob since his surgery is so close."

"Then how about after the surgery?"

"No," I said with a nervous chuckle. "I'm sorry."

"Oh..."

He seemed quiet as he wondered what could be wrong with him and I didn't know why I didn't just tell him I had a boyfriend in the first place. But before I could clarify, he suddenly said, "Dr. Wong...Perhaps we could have lunch together then? I'll be honest. I'm interested in you and I would really like to have an opportunity to get to know you outside of this case."