Chapter 14

"Yibo, I asked you why you want to know the name of the pilot? Also, I heard you say Uncle Zhuyi, who is that?"

Yibo kept silent, not because he didn't want to answer Zhan, but because the news of his uncle's death hit him hard.

"Yibo, what is really going on with you? Did you remember something?"

Yibo still couldn't answer.

Zhan was also going through lots of scenarios in his mind. Is Yibo hurt? He didn't sound ok over the phone, and now all be could hear was breathing and muffled sounds.

Zhan still had over 6 hours of work left, and tonight, he had a lot of patients he had to do follow-ups on. It wasn't possible for him to just leave.

"Can you please tell me what is going on. Please, Yibo!"

Yibo finally managed to answer Zhan, but what he said wasn't what he wanted to hear.

"Zhan, I remembered everything. Everything until the day of the crash. I know what I need to do now. I need to leave right now!"

"No, wait! What do you mean you need to leave? It's late now, where are you going to go? Please don't leave, wait for me to come back, ok? I will take you anywhere you need to go, I promise. Just don't leave like this. Please!"

Even though Zhan pleaded with Yibo not to go, Yibo couldn't stay. After freezing up on the call with Zhan a moment ago, all the missing parts of his memories were filled up.

He now knew where he was going when the plane crashed. And yes, it was true that his uncle was the one flying the plane. He also understood the amount of danger he was in if this situation was left unresolved.

"Zhan, you were worried about my heart potentially belonging to someone else, right?"

"Don't tell me... don't tell me you already have someone?"

Zhan was practically choking over the words because of the lump that was forming in his throat.

"It's a good thing that you don't really like me that like, so it will be easy for you to forget me. You were right to trust your instincts. There is someone waiting for me, and I can't have them wait any longer. I am so sorry, Zhan. Truly I am."

"What does all this mean? Are you really going to just walk away just like that?"

"I don't really have a choice, I have to leave."

Yibo couldn't bear to hear the pain in Zhan's voice. He wouldn't be able to keep his own pain concealed much longer if the phone call continued

"Bye, Zhan."

Without waiting for Zhan's response, he hung up the phone.

The truth was that Yibo didn't have a lover, never had one either. All he ever focused on was building an empire that could stand nose to nose with his father company, which was now run by his stepbrother. It's more like stolen from him.

He had to lie to Zhan to keep him safe. The people he was dealing with were brutal and evil. If he continued to pursue Zhan, he would put both of their lives in danger. Zhan loves his job, and it wouldn't be easy to convince him to stop working until everything was sorted. So, for Zhan's safety, Yibo had to lie to him.

"I am so sorry, Zhan. When everything is done, I will spend the rest of my life begging for your forgiveness. I need you to stay alive so that I have someone to come back to when the dust settles. Please, just hold out for me for a little while."

Yibo picked up the phone again and made another call before turning the phone off and leaving.

Zhan stood frozen in his office for a while. The kind of pain that was surging through his heart was beyond his understanding.