Chapter 16

After a while, Jiyi broke the silence.

"So, Mr Lang has a lover?"

"Yeah, it seems so. At least, that's what he said over the phone. He said he remembered everything and that he had to leave and go back to be with his partner."

"Look, I may have not wanted to admit this before, but that man looked at you like you were his whole entire world. If that isn't love, then I don't know what it is. He may have a partner out there sometime, but what he felt for you couldn't just have disappeared because his memories came back."

"Are you not going to ask me why I didn't tell you that he was at my house?"

"No, I am not going to ask because it seems we are rivals in love. I would have done the same thing if it were me. It's what they call an advantage or a step ahead, right?"

She tried to smile but ended up just managing man awkward grin.

"That's not the reason why I didn't tell you the truth. Back then, I also didn't know how I felt about him. The reason why Yi...Mr Lang is a mystery is something that I still can't tell you, not because of what you think,  but because I can't."

"There is no nurse in this ward that ever worked with Mr Lang that didn't sense the mystery around him. We are just professionals and know not to ask questions that may complicate our work environment. So I understand that there are reasons far beyond love that are preventing you from telling me the truth, just like how Mr Lang suddenly because "Yi..." Right? Don't tell me if you can't, but tell me how you are going to win this man back?"

"Huh? Win? What do you mean? He made it clear that he wanted to be with his partner. Who am I to come between them. It feels wrong to even think about it."

"What feels wrong is you believing that load of bullshit...oh, sorry, I know you hate it when I curse, but anyway, it is a load of bullshit there is no two ways about it."

"Why are you getting mad at me? I won't fight for a person who doesn't want me. Anyway, maybe it is better this way. I can go back to my normal self and live my life peacefully."

"If you weren't older than me, also my boss, I would have slapped you by now. Didn't you live with him? Didn't you listen to him? Do you think Mr Lang would tell you all those things over the phone? Don't you think there is more to the story? If you won't fight for him... hell, I will!"

"No, you can't!"

"And why not? I will only step back in respect of you, but if you decide not to go after this man, trust that I will."

"I said you can't!"

"And I asked you why not?"

"I...I....because...well."

"Well, what? Because you like him and don't want to see him with someone else, right?"

"Yes."

"So why are you letting him go so easily? Why are you giving up? Because he told you he had someone else?"

"No, because I am scared!"

Zhan was truly scared. The only thing he ever fought for in his life was his title in this hospital. Worked night and day to finally be recognized as a doctor without equal. He didn't know anything about love.

"Scared of what?"

"What if he really does love someone else. What if I get rejected. Even worse, what if I make a fool of myself?"

"Find a way to talk to him, ask him everything you want to know, and say everything you need to say. At least that way, you will have no regrets. Right?"