Whispers of Vengeance and Shadows of Death

🐉

🐉

The council chamber in King's Landing was a scene of tension and apprehension. King Aegon II Targaryen paced restlessly, his face etched with worry and anger. The Dowager Queen Alicent Hightower and Ser Criston Cole, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, sat at the table, their expressions mirroring the gravity of the situation. They had recently received news from the Lady Elenda Baratheon that her lord-husband Lord Borros Baratheon had been slain by the Princess Laenys Velaryon. She tore through his chest and pulled out his heart, before disappearing without a trace save from the four dead knights.

A courier entered the chamber, bearing a sealed parchment. Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, broke the seal and read aloud the words that sent a chill through the room:

"You have one day, King's Landing.

Rally and arm your men... hide your women and your children.

For Rhaenyra is our Queen and we will be coming for her throne. When the sky begins to fall upon your people, we will take it."

Once he had finished reading the piece of parchment his hands slammed against the table, causing Alicent to flinch slightly. His face turned crimson as he crumpled the letter in his hand, his anger boiling over.

"This is madness!" he roared, his voice echoing off the stone walls. "She is a second Maegor! A bloodthirsty tyrant and you all sit here doing nothing while she tears the realm apart!" Ser Tyland's eyes widened with disbelief.

"What do you expect us to do? During our battle against the Arryns', she killed my own father. This cannot come as a shock to this council that she is tearing her way through the lands, seeking revenge for her dead nephew," he spoke, his eyes trailing to look over at Alicent who had her head bent down in shame. "With Lord Borros Baratheon dead at her hands, and a grieving pregnant Lady Elenda as regent, the Stormlands are in disarray. Our allies are diminishing."

Aegon looked around at the table, everyone's faces were pale and looked to be in defeat. He scoffed with a smile, "If she wants a war with the dragon's then let her have it, we cannot afford to hesitate. Strengthen our defenses and rally our remaining allies. Send ravens to every loyal house, call for reinforcements from the Reach and the Westerlands. We must tighten our grip on the realm. If she continues to press her luck... I'll send Vhagar and Sunfyre down to Dragonstone and have the place turned into another Harrenhal," he said, causing Alicent's one quiet demeanor to disappear she shook her head and stood on her feet in one swift motion.

"We have forgotten one thing, word has spread--gossip speculating that the Princess has delivered her babe," she announces, making Aegon shrug his shoulders. "What do we care what monstrosity she delivers?" he asked, Alicent rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"That child has Hightower blood, if we march our banners to Dragonstone and kill the whole lot of them with dragon fire, we are killing our own kin, my grandchild. Our cousins in Old Town will not take kindly to that,"