Chapter XX: Udhaar

Tejasvin

"Sarkaar insaaf kijiye," a middle-aged man spoke adjoining his hands in front of me. He was on the verge of crying as his voice was shaking.

(Sire please do justice.)

Panchayat was being held today and I was listening to all the concerns of the villagers. I was sitting on a single sofa while rest of them sat at some distance from me on the tarpaulin that was spread underneath them .

"What happened kaka?" I asked while frowning and leaned forward a bit in my seat.

"Sarkaar, Nathuram forcibly took my land away. I had borrowed some money from him to buy seeds for this year's crop, but it didn't produce as much yield as I expected. I didn't get a good price for it and wasn't able to return his money in time. So, he took away my land even though I promised that I'd return every penny to him. Now he is growing his own crops there," he spoke shedding few tears and neared me.

"This field is my livelihood sarkaar. How would I feed my family?" Saying this he fell on my feet and cried more. I instantly picked him up, holding both his arms.

"Nathuram," I yelled out his name and he stood up from the crowd shivering already. "Do you have anything to say?"

"Sarkaar, he promised to return all the money back by the end of last month and he has only paid half of it yet," he said.

"When you have already taken his land away, how do you expect him to return the money? It was his only source of income, and you took that away too. So this is neither going to help you nor him. It would be better if you return him the land and he will pay you back soon once he gets a good price for his crops, right kaka?" I asked looking at him and he nodded between his tears. "And what about you Nathuram? Do you agree?"

"Ji sarkaar," he said and settled down at his place.

Kaka adjoined his hands again and said, "sarkaar you have returned to take away our pain." I stood up from my place and putting his hands down, I signalled him to take a seat.

Next, a woman stood up from her place, holding the finger of a small boy and began talking.

"Sarkaar," she said and broke into cries. "Sarkaar, my husband drinks a lot and beats me every time he comes home drunk." I saw her husband stand up from the crowd with his head bowed down and it infuriated me to listen to her complaint.

"You beat the woman who is worship worthy, such a shame. Have you ever thought what your child is going to learn from you?" I bellowed and he shuddered at his place. "Someone who can't respect a woman does not deserve a place in this village," I ordered, and he came running towards me and landed on my feet.

"Don't do this sarkaar, I won't be able to live without my kid and Surili," he said and sobbed holding my feet.

"I said what I said," I freed my feet from his hold and sat back on my seat.

"Sarkaar, I promise I won't do it from now. Please don't banish me from this village," he pleaded sitting on the ground.

I looked at the woman still standing at her place and shedding few tears at my harsh decision.

"Promise to your wife not me," I said. "What is your say on this Surili? Don't be afraid, your words will be the final decision."

"Sarkaar, what more can I ask for if he is willing to give up his bad habits," she said and I nodded, agreeing with her decision.

"If he ever even touches you without your permission, then don't be scared to come to me," I asserted. After hearing few more complaints, I dismissed the panchayat, and everyone began to leave except one person. This lady stood up from her place who had her face covered underneath a long veil.