Chapter I: Pehla savera

Ketaki

"I will avenge this Ketaki, just watch out," Subhadra shouted while catching her breath.

I laughed out loud at her condition remembering how I tried to drown her just a moment ago in the river water. She began splashing water towards me but all it did was add more enjoyment to my morning bath. My laughter echoed in the woods, enhancing the joy that I was feeling. As Subhadra was busy taking her revenge, I felt some movement of the water behind me, alerting me of someone's presence. Just when she was about to jump over me in an attempt to push me into the water, I immediately turned around and caught her red handed.

"You cannot fool me Reva," I said putting both my hands on the side of my bare waist. Feeling embarrassed, she pinched her nose and submerged into the water, earning a laugh from both Subhadra and I.

It was our routine to come to the Kumudini river in the early mornings for a bath. The river was surrounded by huge trees on both sides, creating a secluded atmosphere for us. The clear blue waters were a source of relaxation for us. In the mornings, the temperature of the water was usually cooler than in the afternoon as the sun takes over the skies.

It was always fascinating for me to observe the plays of the nature. The morning dew from the leaves of the trees would fall into the river, creating ripples. The water currents made such soothing sounds that sometimes I'd just sit at the edge of the river and listen to it. I've even come here on the days when its pouring and just observed how water merges back into the water. The birds would chirp all day long while hiding in the trees, filling the atmosphere with their melodious tunes. The distinct aroma of the fog lingering in the air always teased my nose and I couldn't help but inhale deeply to capture its essence. The smell of wide varieties of flowers growing by the riverbank were always a sight. Bees and other insects would loiter around in order to extract their nectar. As soon as we'd notice the darkness of the sky being eroded away with the arrival of the sun, we would come out of the water and return back to the village to tend to the chores of the day.

Placing my hands on the mushy grass growing on the side of the river, I pushed myself out of the water. All three of us began taking the wet clothes off and changing into a new set that were hung on the tress to protect them from getting wet or dirty. I put my feet into a plain, brown skirt that ended at my shins and tied the strings of it to keep it in place on my waist. Taking the piece of a long black cloth that was meant to be my blouse, I adjusted it over my chest and waited for Subhadra to finish dressing herself up.

"Can you tie it for me?" I asked her politely while shuffling near her, still holding the cloth in place.

"Why can't you learn to tie it yourself huh? How will you do it when we aren't around?" She said turning me around and taking the ends of the cloth in her hands. I moved my wavy set of hair to the front, making it easier for her to tie it. Holding both the ends, she made a knot first and then made a bow out of it.

"Someone will, don't worry," I said and giggled at my own response.

I always struggled to tie my blouse as I found it hard to twist my arms behind me. However, Subhadra and Reva were experts at doing it themselves, making me jealous of their skill. After she was done, I took a thin black metal waist chain and hooked it over my belly. I pulled the black dupatta off from one of the tree branches. Tucking one end of it in the skirt, I unfurled the other end over my shoulder that covered most of my upper body. Placing all the wet clothes in the scarf that I had removed earlier, I tied them in a pile. I soon began plucking flowers that were still covered in morning dew to offer them at the temple later. After collecting a few, I carefully placed them in the end of my dupatta and loosely tied the ends to secure the flowers in it. Picking up the empty matka from the ground, I placed it over the side of my waist and began strolling towards the house.

(Earthen pot)

We were walking bare feet on the unmetalled path that led to the village. Our feet were used to the dust and the pebbles in our pathways. We stopped by the well on our way home, filling up the earthen pots to the brim. Adjusting it back on the side of my waist, we continued treading on the same path. Some water spilled out of it as we kept walking, merging into the dust.

As we neared the village houses, Subhadra, Reva, and I parted our ways. They were not only my neighbours but also my companions. Since I've moved to this village, they have never left my side. We even stepped into our youth at the same time after spending several years of our lives together.

The houses in our village were built with bricks, which were then covered with mud. I had hand drawn some images of birds and flowers on the walls of it using white paint and wooden sticks. It was surrounded by wooden railing on all sides. In the name of rooms, we only had two and a small space that we consider as our living room.

"Kaha mar gayi thi kulachhani?" I heard the distant voice of my grandmother as soon as I entered the house.

(Where did you die, you immoral woman?)

I sighed heavily listening to her unpleasant words this early in the morning, but it was her usual. Putting the earthen pot on the wooden table, I went towards her room.

"What happened daadi?" I questioned her as I entered her room. She was laying on the mat that was spread on the floor.

"Who's going to cook? Just leave this old hag to die of hunger why don't you?" She complained, so I quickly rushed to the backside of the house to prepare something. Putting some pieces of woods into the chulha, I ignited the fire from a distance and placed a metal cauldron on it.

(Clay stove)

As it heated up, I added some spices and vegetables into it that spread their aroma into the air. Once I finished preparing everything, I called my uncle out.

"Chacha ji"

He came out with a neem stick in his mouth that he was using to clean his teeth.

"Can you extinguish the fire?" I asked him politely and he nodded. Taking the water in a mug, he poured it on the stove that made the fire die down instantly.

I have been trying to cope up with my fear of fire for the past ten years now, but sometimes it resurfaces. Since a lot of house chores involve fire, I can't resist it completely, so I have learned to deal with it but was never able to overcome it.