Chapter XXXIII: Zakhm

Ketaki

I was married now. To him. I didn't know what to think or feel.

He stood up as we finished all the rituals and pulled on my arm to make me stand up as I didn't have much strength in me at this time to do this on my own. I watched chacha ji near us and I broke into cries seeing him. He tried to take me into a hug, but I moved back, and my back hit him. Turning around, my head fell on his chest on its own, and I began sobbing. He was the reason of this pain, yet I was seeking my comfort in him. And chacha ji, who always stood up for me refused to say anything today knowing very well how much I resented Rajwant.

Holding my arms he detached me from himself and shook his head telling me to stop crying. He advanced towards chacha ji and bent down to touch his feet. Chacha ji placed his hand over his back and when he straightened up, chacha ji adjoined his hands in front of him making me frown.

"How will I ever repay you for this?" Chacha ji spoke and sahib immediately lowered his hands down.

"Don't do this chacha ji. Just give Ketaki your blessings," he said, and they both looked in my direction. I looked away not wanting to interact with any of them.

"Get blessings from chacha ji Ketaki, we're leaving soon," he asserted but I refused to take even a step towards him.

"Ketaki," he said loudly and when I didn't react again, he came near me. Taking my hand, he pulled me in chacha ji's direction and made me stand in front of him.

"Bachi don't hate him for this. He only did this bec—" he began speaking but I stopped him midway by showing him the palm of my hand.

"There's nothing left to be said chacha ji," I said and ran away from there. As I was running, I heard footsteps behind me and who else could it be but him.

"Stop Ketaki," he yelled from behind, but I kept walking away. I exited the hall and kept pacing on the empty and silent streets while cleaning off my tears that won't stop flowing. When I didn't stop, he held my arm and turned me around to face him.

"WHAT?" I spoke loudly and noticed anger lowering to his eyes.

"Where do you think you are going?" He asked holding me harshly but the stabbing pain in my heart was worse than his grip on me.

"Away from you," I said, and he pulled me closer.

"You cannot. Not now, not today, not ever," he bellowed and abruptly picked me up over his shoulder.

"Leave me, I am not going anywhere with you," I said throwing punches on his back, but he began walking. He put me down back on my feet near his car and opened up the door.

"Sit," he ordered, and I didn't move from my place. "Ketaki stop being stubborn."

"I am not going anywhere with you," I said. Not paying heed to anything I said, he made me sit on the passenger's seat forcefully and closed the door with a loud thud. Quickly moving to the other side, he sat down and began driving.

Tejasvin

We soon reached home and yet again she refused to come out of the car. She stubbornly sat at her place, so I moved to her side and pulled her out. I kept pulling her behind me and reaching the footsteps of the house, I rang the bell. Dad opened the doors and looked confusedly at us. His confusion soon changed into anger when he realized the situation as I was still holding her hand. Moreover, the news of me marrying her would've spread in the entire village by now, eventually reaching his ears.

"Take her away and do not return to this house," he said in an angry tone and closed the doors on our faces. She shuddered when he closed the doors loudly and tightened her hold on my hand.