Chapter XII: Naya jeevan

Ketaki

"Ketaki"

"Ketaki, wake up."

I heard Subhadra and Reva yelling from outside the house. I yawned stretching my arms and went towards the window that was lined with metal rods vertically. Holding onto one of the rods, I peeped outside.

"What happened?" I questioned yawning once again as I was still half asleep.

"Tulsi. Its time," Subhadra replied, and my sleep faded away immediately. I ran outside after quickly picking my dupatta that was lying on a wooden table. I adjusted it around me as we kept walking towards Tulsi's house. She is one of our friends, who got married some time back and was about to give birth to a baby now. I was ecstatic as it's been a while since we have last heard the coos of a baby in this village.

As soon as I stepped inside, I saw her lying on a cot holding her protruding stomach and screaming in pain. Her mother-in-law was sitting by her head, caressing her hair. She looked up at me and said, "finally you're here Ketaki. My daughter is in so much pain." There were few other ladies of the village present too for her moral support.

"Don't worry kaki, this pain will bring the most joyous thing in your life," I said with a soft smile. Every male of the household was told to leave, and we closed the doors behind them as one of the ladies drew the curtains to give her privacy.

"Subhadra, get some warm water and Reva, get some soft cloths," I ordered them, and they began collecting all the necessary things required for birthing a baby. Since we have done this before, I did not need to instruct them too much. Sitting on the cot next to Tulsi, I held her hand.

"Tulsi, I need you to have some strength at this time. Whenever you feel contractions, you need to push. Listen to your body and push in sync with the contractions, okay?" I explained it to her, and she squeezed my hand, conveying her pain.

"Ahh Ketaki," she screamed as some sweat collected on her forehead. Her hand that I was holding turned sweaty too, revealing the intensity of the situation. I covered her with a sheet after folding her skirt up and told her to fold her legs at the knees for a better birthing position.

In this village, birth of another being takes place at home itself. The art of delivery has been passed onto our generation by the older women who possessed this knowledge and were known as dai maa, or a midwife. People think that we don't know anything about reproduction processes but how did we used to give births before hospitals took over?

Along with birthing babies, I have also helped several animals in their birthing process. I have specifically named all the calves that I have helped to deliver. It is a captivating experience to see a living being give birth to another being. A mother, whether it is an animal or a human being, shares a connection with its offspring that begins to develop as soon as the baby establishes in the womb and continues to flourish with its birth.

"Ahhhhhhaaha," Tulsi screamed more, gripping the sheets that were spread underneath her. She pushed every time she felt contraction, and the baby began to lower down. I soon noticed the crowning of the head and she gave it another push.

"Good Tusli, keep going," I encouraged her, and she pushed more.

"Just one more push Tulsi," I yelled, and she was exhausted at this point. Her head fell back on the cot, having no more strength left in her. Her mother-in-law quickly walked up to her and tried to help her with pushing.

"No kaki, she needs to do it herself. Come on Tulsi, get up. Just one more push," I said. Gathering some strength, she gave one last push to her belly. Supporting the head of the baby, I helped with the shoulders to come out and the baby eventually slid out. Soon the room was filled with his first cries and a smile came across everyone's faces. Tulsi and her mother-in-law had tears of joy in their eyes.