Chapter XXXI: Dulhan

Ketaki

It was already night and soon everyone retired to their homes leaving only few close ones who stayed for the next ritual. My henna had dried up by now and was slowly shedding off on its own. I changed into a powder blue outfit and covered my head with the dupatta just the way he did it for me earlier. Looking into the mirror, I smiled at my reflection before heading out. I came and sat in the living room on the rug.

Getting a large metal platter, Subhadra poured milk in it and mixed some water to it, followed by adding few rose petals. Reva brought my red wedding bangles and one by one put them in the liquid, letting them soak for some time. Not being interested in participating this rasam, dadi went to her room to sleep.

Chacha ji came and settled next to me on the rug and moved his hand over my head. Reva, Subhadra and Tulsi with few other ladies sat in front of me while Akarshan fell asleep in Tulsi's lap. Taking out few wedding bangles in his hand, he shook off excess milk and lowered it on my empty wrist. Some of the liquid remaining on the bangles dampened my dried henna. He kept adding more bangles in silence and as I kept observing him. His eyes turned teary watching my chooda filled arm. He proceeded to the other hand, and I remembered the grace that he had showered upon me since I've stepped into this house. He never considered me anything less than his own daughter then how can I not be grateful for his benevolence? He offered me a roof over my head and food to satiate my hunger but what surpasses it all is the place that he gave me in his heart.

My henna-stained arms were now adorned with plain red coloured wedding bangles. I looked at them that were laced with his blessings and it brought tears to my eyes. He took me in his embrace and began caressing my head.

"Be kind to yourself. Don't let the harshness of this world fade away your courage," he spoke, and I broke into cries. How often is it that women are praised for their courage but my father figure chacha ji has always taken pride in my strength. I reminisced the times I've worked alongside with him in the fields and made food for him that he had always enjoyed. It was him who taught me how to cook and my appreciation for him enhanced more. How would I not expect my husband to respect me when I have a father like him who has shown me what it means to love someone selflessly?

"In the next lifetime, I hope you take birth as my daughter. Forgive your chacha ji if he failed to fulfill any of your wishes," he said, and my hold tightened around him.

I heard sniffling sounds that made me come out of his embrace and I found my friends crying watching us. Getting up from their place, they all ran towards me and took me into a group hug.

"We will miss you Ketu" Subhadra said, and we stayed like that for some time.

"Ketaki it's time for the pooja," Kanta kaki said making us break the hug and I nodded cleaning off my tears. She gave me the pooja thaal that had all the stuff which are significant for a married woman.

As I got up, Subhdra, Reva, Tulsi, and kaki held a red coloured cloth over my head. They were holding each end of it from all four sides above me and we advanced towards the mandir like that. As we reached the steps of the mandir, they took the cloth off my head, and I neared the idol of Maa Uma. Panditji took the thaal from my hand and taking the red scarf from the plate, he unfurled it over the idol. Then he put a red tika in the middle of my forehead and I closed my eyes to pray.

Maa apni kripa banaye rakhna. Himmat dena ki mein apne pati ki himmat ban saku.

(Always have your blessings upon me. Give me strength so that I can become my husband's strength.)

"Ketaki jiji," I heard Smriti's voice that made me open my eyes suddenly. I turned my head in the direction of her voice, and I found her nearing me along with another woman. I adjoined my hands to greet her, and she placed her hand over my head to give me blessings.