Chapter II: Chhote sarkaar

Tejasvin

"Drive faster kaka," I instructed my driver who had come to pick me up from the airport while I was seated on the back seat. It has been many years since I've returned home to my village, Raghavaiah. The city has raised me, but I never forgot the place that birthed me. After successfully completing my law degree, I was finally returning to the soil of my origin.

It was almost evening by the time we reached the dusty pathways of the village. I inhaled deeply to capture the aroma of this place and the same fragrance of the freshly grown flowers and crops hit my nose. The sun was slowly setting down, leaving the sky in different shades of orange.

Kaka parked in the driveway, and I got off. I strolled towards the huge door of the house and rang the bell. Dad opened the door and spread his arms to welcome me.

"Ab jaake baap ke seene ko thandak padi," he uttered taking me into hug and patting my back.

(Now the heart of this father is relieved.)

"Dau," I heard my sister's distant voice and saw her frolicking down the stairs. As she neared me, I hugged her and moved my hand frivolously on her head that messed up her hair.

(Big brother)

"How are you Smriti?" I questioned her and she came out of my embrace.

"First class, how are you dau?" She spoke cheerfully. The joy of my return was evident on her face.

"Good. I'm gonna go freshen up quickly. Jabaaz must be waiting for me," I said and paced towards my room. Turning on the shower, I let the water drench me and changed into a pair of sweats and a t-shirt after drying myself. Standing outside the house, I moved my eyes around to see the extensive fields and trees that were spreading freshness into the air.

I placed my thumb and index finger on my lips and curling them inside my mouth, I whistled loudly. Soon, I heard a shrill that made me lift my gaze up and I spotted Jabaaz who was flying at a great speed. Tearing the evening skies, he came and landed on my forearm that I had extended for him. I caressed his fur, and he made another shrilling sound in the excitement to meet me again.

My eagle Jabaaz has been with me since the age of thirteen, but I had to leave him here when I moved to the city. I found him on the ground injured one day when I was walking around the riverbank. I quickly went up to him and gently picking him up, I went home to tend to his wounds. Since then, he has been by my side.

I gave him a pat and he flew up in the sky again, disappearing into the clouds. I decided to take a stroll around the village to see if anything has changed since I've last been here. The memories of childhood resurfaced as I began walking on the pebbly pathways. I observed the farmers working strenuously in the fields. They were cutting their crops using a sickle and putting them in a pile. I saw a middle-aged person walking from an opposite direction towards me and his son was sitting over his shoulders. As he neared me, he bowed his head slightly in respect and the little kid adjoined his hands.

"Ram Ram chhote sarkaar," he said.

(Greetings, young prince)

In this small place, almost everyone knew each other, especially our family since dad was the sarpanch of the village. We were the only ones to own a huge house here that was located at some distance from the rest of the village. He was the most respected and influential person here.

(Head of the village)

"Ram Ram," I replied and kept walking further, reaching the streets of the village that had few small shops on its either side. I went towards the villlage's kirana shop that had all sorts of grains laid out in burlap sacks.

(Grocery shop)

The owner was confusedly scratching his head as he was writing something down in his book.

"Ram Ram kaka," I said standing outside the shop.

(Greetings uncle.)

"Come later. I'm busy right now," he replied without looking up, so I walked further in and stood in front of him. He finally looked up from his book and his face lit up seeing me.

"Chhote sarkaar, when did you come back from the city?" He said standing up from his chair instantly and adjoining his hands together.

"Just today," I replied.

He scanned me from top to bottom and said, "you were this little when I saw you last and look at you now. You've grown into such a handsome man."

I smiled at his comment remembering the times when I used to come here with dad. I would put my small hands in the sacks, fisting grains in them and making a mess all over. Instead of getting mad at me, he would give me a ball to play with.

"I'll take your leave now kaka," I said and began sauntering around the streets again.

The sky was slowly turning dark, and few stars had appeared in the sky. I decided to visit the Kumudini river as that place was always a source of calmness for me.

I stood at the edge of the river and observed its vastness. The white lotuses were shimmering under the light of the moon. They were swaying on the surface of the water due to the slight breeze that was blowing, causing the river water to move. The crickets were chirping, and I could also hear the distant coos of the owls here and there. Taking my shirt off, I plunged into the cold water. It made a splash sound, disrupting the silence of the place and the water felt refreshing. I began swimming towards the waterfall and spotted my favourite spot. It was a huge rock near the waterfall, and it was still intact at its place in the river after these many years. I climbed it and stood on top of it, breathing the fresh night air of my village. The water falling from the waterfall was hitting my back, refreshing all the memories of the childhood.

Swimming towards the edge, I came out of the water. I picked up my shirt from the ground and threw it over my shoulder while my sweats were completely wet and heavy now. Raking the fingers in my wet hair, I began walking towards the house, passing through the same streets again. The silence had taken over the entire village now as it was a norm for the people to sleep early here. I put my shirt on while walking as the water kept dripping from my sweats merging into the ground. The water droplets falling from my hair onto the shoulders made my shirt somewhat wet.

Soon I reached home and rang the bell. This time, Surbhi aunty opened the door with an ear-to-ear smile on her face.

"Tejas beta," she exclaimed, and I bent down to touch her feet. She placed her hand on my back to give me blessings. I straightened myself up and began taking steps towards my room.

"Even after so many years you have nothing to say to me?" She questioned, making me halt on my steps.