Chapter XVI: Mithaas

Ketaki

Chacha ji informed me about the games event that is organized by our village every year. All the players from the neighbouring villages take part in it and winners are announced at the end of every game. Even though it is just for entertainment, it takes a competitive turn and the greed to win becomes evident on every player's face.

I noticed the preparations of the event starting to take place already as I walked through the streets. A man had climbed up the wooden ladder against a pole and was tying red coloured paper buntings to it. Another person was carrying a roll of tarpaulin on his shoulder and taking it towards the area where all the games were supposed to take place. The confectioner was patiently moving the metal spatula in a huge cauldron filled with milk to make sweets for the upcoming event. A smile came across my face looking at the cheer. Khel samaroh never failed to bring excitement in the hearts of all the villagers and I enjoyed it the most. Watching the halwai work so tirelessly, I went towards him.

"What are you making Subodh kaka," I asked coming to a halt by his shop.

"I'm making khoya barfi for the samaroh," he answered with a huge smile. He knows it'll sell out within minutes as everyone loved his sweets, including the neighbouring villagers. He puts up a stall at the event every year, selling varieties of foods and sweets.

"Aye Ketaki, I made some gulaab jamun. Why don't you taste it and tell me if its good or not?"

"Sure kaka," I said, and he quickly got up handing me the spatula that he was holding. I began moving it in the pond of milk in a circular motion and he came back with a bowl in his hand.

"Here, taste it and tell me."

I took the bowl from his hands and gave the spatula back to him. I picked up a ball from the bowl and put the entire thing in my mouth in one go. The sweet flavours burst in my mouth instantly.

"Mhm kaka, it's so good," I said while chewing it.

"I'm so happy you liked it. I made it especially for sarkaar since it's his favourite. I will give it to him on the day of the samaroh," he said, and I spat out whatever was left over in my mouth hearing about him.

"What happened?" he questioned when I began coughing.

"Chhiii kaka, it's not good at all. There's no sugar in it," I said coughing more.

"Really? I thought I put enough sugar," he said scratching his head.

"You're going to need a lot of sugar to counterbalance his bitterness," I mumbled to myself.

"What?" He asked as I wasn't audible to him.

"Nothing kaka, just make sure you add lots of sugar in the syrup and give them a good bath in it okay? Want me to help you?"

"Yes, it would be nice to get some help," he said, and a mischievous grin came across my face. He already had the cauldron with the syrup set up on the stove. Taking the box of sugar, I added several scoops of sugar in it.

"One, two, three, four. Yes, that's enough," I counted the number of bowls of sugar I added to the syrup. "But what's four bowls of sugar going to do in front of his bitterness? Let me add some more," I said and added few more to it. I saw that kaka was busy raking the milk and didn't notice it.

"Five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Yes, now it's perfect." I mixed all the sugar and it dissolved into the warm syrup within minutes, thickening the consistency of it. I then dipped all the gulaab jamun balls in it and let them soak in there for some time. Using the huge metal sieve, I took them out and placed them in the plate.