Chapter XXXIX: Sach

Ketaki

"Aa gayi vaapis?" I heard Rajwant's voice from behind me as I was closing the doors.

(So you have returned?)

Turning around, I adjoined my hands to greet him while keeping my gaze lowered to the ground the entire time. I heard his footsteps nearing me and I didn't want to look up at him because all that I would see on his face would be disgust for me. I nodded slightly and was about to leave towards our room when he began speaking again.

"What did you do to my son that he married you like this?" He said and I halted on my steps. He came and stood near me again and I still refused to look up at him.

"He would've never married someone like you unless you did something or something unusual took place between you two," he spoke making my heart shatter in several pieces. "Your parents ran away to get married too I can't expect anything different from their daughter."

My heart clenched at the mention of my parents as few tears made their way out of my eyes falling on the floor.

"I—I—I do—don't know why he married me," I stuttered while controlling my cries. "I tried to stop him, but he didn't listen and forcefully married me. You are better off asking your son why he did what he did. An—and my parents did nothing wrong. They loved each other. What was their fault in that? They were punished for something that wasn't even a crime."

Saying this I stormed towards our room as I wouldn't have been able to control myself if I had stayed in front of him for some more time.

I knew this was going to happen eventually. I knew he would never except me. I knew this marriage shouldn't have happened in the first place. For how long I could've kept ignoring him while staying under his roof? I wasn't meant to marry in such an opulent household being the daughter of a mere farmer anyways.

Reaching our room, I fell on my knees and broke into audible sobs while thinking of all the possible reasons that could've made him marry me like this.

Tejasvin

"How was your stay dau?" Smriti asked sitting at the backseat of the car while I was driving.

"Good," I said hiding my smile that was trying to convey my joy.

"Bas good?" Aunty spoke. "Dikh raha hai beta kitna 'good' tha. Tumhe Ketaki ko chhod kar aane ke liye kaha tha na ki khud apne sasural mein basne ko," She said teasingly, and I could hear Smriti giggle at the back.

(Only good? I can see how 'good' it was. I told you to drop Ketaki not to stay along with her at your in laws' place.)

She's right though, it wasn't just good. Our time together was precious to me. Being with her felt so right. I was even able to tell her what I was feeling. I didn't even know when I began to feel for her like this.

"How's your foot now?" I asked changing the topic.

"It's better now," she replied. We soon reached home, and everyone got out as I parked in front of the house. I rushed towards our home with a huge smile on my face as I wanted to see her even though I was with her only a few moments ago.

As I opened the door, I was met with darkness and her figure sitting against the footboard of the bed. She had put her head down on her knees and lifted her face up when she heard me walk in.

Only the faint light was coming through the gaps of the curtains making her face visible to me. Her eyes looked swollen, and it seemed like she has been crying. My smile faded away seeing her like this and I swiftly went towards her. Placing my hands on her both side, I helped her to stand up. As soon as she balanced herself on her feet, she pushed me away with a force. I was getting more concerned with every passing moment seeing her standing in front of me like this without saying a word.