𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

"WAIT, WAIT, WAIT , CAROLINE," Stefan's expression was one of clear concern, confusion, and disbelief all together. His head had been tilted to one side; eyes focused on the perambulating Caroline just a few feet ahead of him. "You're telling me, that Aurelia's disappeared again , and this time it's because of some petty fight she had with Elena? " His hands were thrown out, absolutely unable to understand this confession that Caroline had been holding back for the last day of Aurelia's absence. "It's Aurelia , she kills people and moves on in the next minute!"

"No, Stefan, you don't get it!" Caroline exclaimed, exasperated and messy with her pacing around. "It wasn't just about Elena provoking her! When she pinned her down, and like, threatened her..." The woman shuddered slightly. "I just got so worried for Elena! I didn't think and just yelled at Aurelia to stop and then tended to Elena..."

"... oh ." Stefan's mumble made Caroline groan loudly and fall back to the cushioned seat she was closest to in her comfortable living room. "Wait, that still doesn't add up—"

" HI, LOVE ." KOL'S DISTANCE VOICE HAD NOW replaced the ringing tone that was pushed against Aurelia for the last few seconds; seconds that felt like minutes. " It's been a while since I last heard your voice. Those little texts that you send to me here and there aren't a keen enough substitution. " The lump in Aurelia's throat refused to leave—as did the complimentary pit in her stomach that threatened to swallow her emotions whole.

She had thought that listening to Kol's voice would soothe her slightly, would calm her down. She was in a less than ideal place—not Caroline to go for the sake of the younger's sanity, not Rebekah because she hadn't seen her once since she skipped town, and definitely not Klaus, because—well...

" Aurelia? I can't seem to be able to hear you. " Kol's voice once again filled her ear, making Aurelia blink several times. " Are you there? " Shaking her head and the thoughts away as much as she could—which was close to not shaking them away at all—Aurelia took a deep and long breath to answer Kol whilst concealing the crack in her voice.

"Hi, Kol." Was all she could say, before the pit grew in her stomach, pushing down the emotional baggage on her shoulders. "I've missed you."

God , why wasn't she feeling better?! He was supposed to be her escape ! What the hell was going on? Suddenly, she couldn't find comfort in him? And she hadn't seen him for—what—just a few weeks?

" I've missed you more, darling. " She could practically hear the smile in Kol's voice, digging a larger hole in her heart for all that she was unable to feel while talking to him. " You're oddly quiet. On our calls, you're charmingly talkative. Is everything okay ?"

Maybe if she told him what was going on, things would be better—she'd feel that comfort she needed.

" Aurelia? "

"He lied to me." Aurelia muttered; eyes cast downwards to the dry leaves crunching underneath her feet with each step. "Klaus lied to me, Kol. He hid the cure from me for centuries..."

" The cure? What are you talking about? "

"As of recently," Aurelia laughed humorlessly, hand placed on her forehead. "The famed Mystic Falls gang has discovered the cure for vampirism." A pause ensued from the man. "Yeah, uh, that's the one I learned about, way back when—y'know, when I hated being a vampire and stuff, right?"

" I remember that. " His sigh was hard to make anything of. " I thought you simply let go of it. You never told us anything about it. Klaus refrained from the same, as well. "