FOURTY [UNEDITED]

"Aurelia!"

Damon groaned as he put his arm between the bars of the cell, reaching for the wooden bullets that Aaron had dropped. He tried as much as he could to touch the bullet.

Using the tip of his fingers, he pulled the tiny menace towards him, before picking it up and standing up. He pushed the bullet straight into the key hole, twisting it around to push it further inside.

He then took a rock, before hitting the keyhole with as much force as he could. The bullet exploded as he took a step back.

A moment later, he walked back to the door and shook it furiously, trying to open it again. He grunted, before kicking it over and over again.

Finally, it opened up, and he walked out. He looked around at the basement, trying to catch sight of the wavy blonde-haired hybrid, but to no avail.

!

"What the hell happened to you?" Katherine asked, as Damon walked into the Salvatore Boarding House.

"Ditto." He said, looking at a few grey strands in the midst of her brown hair. "Have you seen Aurelia here?" He asked.

"I haven't seen her, not that I've been looking." She said.

"STEF, YOU AWAKE?!" He yelled, trying to catch the younger Salvatore's attention.

"You know, he hasn't seen her, either." She said. "I know because we were together all night." Damon scrunched up his nose in disgust.

"Look, I've had a really crappy couple of days, okay? If you're implying what I think you're implying—"

"Why? What were you thinking? That our hot, naked bodies—"

"Yeah, I'm gonna barf."

"Great." She said. "Then my work here is done. Toodles." She left the house, leaving him alone.

!

Aurelia parted her chapped lips, her eyes slowly opening and closing. Her blue-gray pupils darted to Wes, who approached the test bed to which she was strapped. He lifted up his black recorder, pressing the button. "Subject 22856 appears conscious, after roughly 5 hours of drifting between sleep and consciousness."

"What the hell are you doing to me?" She said, her throat dry and itchy.

"I just extracted most of your blood and sedated you." He said. "I'm preparing you for the next step." She waited for him to continue. "To see whether an advanced vampire like you will react to healing in different ways or not."

"Please," She breathed out. "Please, just let me go."

"Now, why would I let a specimen like you go?" He rhetorically asked. He turned around, and she could hear the slight clashing of metal objects before he turned back around to face her. Her eyes widened in horror at the sight of the scalpel and tweezers. She tried to move and escape, but with little energy left, she was unable to.

She shook with fright as the scalpel neared her eye, letting out whimpers. He stopped the blade just millimeters away from her eyeball, before smiling at her.

"Scared?" He asked. "You'll get used to it. Eventually."

The cold metal made contact with her eye as she gave an ear-piercing shriek.

!

"Where the hell have you been?" Stefan asked, spotting Damon at the entrance of his room.

"Aw, you know, being held against my will, shot in the head, and now, I can't find Aurelia." He said. "By the way, she was with me these past few days." Stefan stopped walking around his room, turning to face his brother.