Ramblings About Liberation

"But where one should seek freedom is in the feelings.

These are the living essence of the soul."

Johann Goethe

If a bird is raised its whole life in a cage, they say it won't survive if you set it free, but perhaps the hours of freedom are the only moments in its existence that were worth living.

We live under invisible chains. We are slaves to ourselves. We put bars on the windows to keep danger outside, but we are the ones who lose freedom. We are like birds in a cage, but what if we decide to go live outside? Will we not survive? Will it not be worth it?

It is only in complete solitude that we can fully understand ourselves. Fernando Pessoa once said that a man who cannot live in solitude is a slave to others... Something like that... I have always been a slave to others. I've missed out on so much and stopped dreaming of countless possibilities because of others. I thought I owed something to my parents, my siblings, friends, and girlfriends. I stopped traveling the world with a backpack so they wouldn't worry about me. I refrained from providing humanitarian aid in wars so they wouldn't have to bury me. I stopped seeing life with less responsibility because I thought they expected too much from me... And maybe they did.

But what did I expect from myself?

Ah, I expected much more.

Much more happiness, love, money, fulfillment, brotherhood, respect, attention, affection, and many other things that I had, but not to the extent I expected. Not as much as I wanted.

Now, here in space, I am free. I have achieved my liberation from everything and everyone, and now I must face and embrace death with the same intensity that I sought freedom, because otherwise the cycle will not be complete.

Death is not the liberation from everything; you can free yourself from invisible chains and still live. I just had bad luck. Liberation must come before death, not with it. Now I understand.

You need to be attentive to your feelings to know what you want. Who you are.

I am an astronaut who loves humanity, who wanted to be on that troubled planet and live a full, happy life surrounded by people I care about. Happiness is only possible surrounded by those people, but it's essential to understand that they are not necessary because one day they will leave, die, or follow different paths. And at that moment, you must understand that as much as they are special and you love them, you must open the door of the cage and let them fly.

Those of you who love me. All of you. Now is the time to open the door of my cage and let me fly.

I am free.

Thank you.