Chapter Thirty: New Outlooks and Demon Roses (End of Act Two)

Pleasantville, two weeks later...

"Hezekiah, you look as if you've been glowing underneath the sun!" was the first thing that left Thorn's mouth upon my arrival in his office for another therapy session. Two weeks spent with Chance at Pacifica Vista was something that would live on in my memory since coming to the Nexus. And now, I was back in Pleasantville and in the therapy seraph's office as I was expected to see said therapy seraph upon my return (Chance had to get back to his job as the hotel bellboy, but promised to see me later this evening). "I take it that you had a blast at Pacifica Vista?"

I smiled softly as I took a seat in front of his desk. "It was a great vacation," I replied. "No, it was a magnificent vacation that I want to be the start of many more."

"I can tell, seeing that your tan proves that you did have a good time," Thorn chuckled. "What did you do?"

I took a deep breath. "A bit of everything that I had never enjoyed on Earth since I was locked away at St. Anslem's or in my room with tutors for the holidays and summer vacations. I swam in the spacious sea that felt like I was taking a long bubble bath, enjoyed walks on the beach, checked out the local townsfolk, met some interesting people, and...well, let's just say that Chance and I got to fully reignite our friendship and elevated it into something more."

A mischievous twinkle filled Thorn's eyes. "Do tell."

I couldn't help but laugh at that request. "I can't give all the details away, but a couple of days before I left for Pacifica Vista Chance and I had decided to cut our losses and begin to truly break down the walls that kept us from knowing more from each other," I told him. "He even said that he wanted to give us a chance and start building a relationship that was denied from us back on Earth."

"You're soulmates, you and Chance?" Thorn deduced.

I nodded. "We are, and it's both thrilling and scary. Even more so, given that Catalina wants Chance for herself," I admitted. "You probably heard about what happened at Alvin and Damon's dinner party."

Thorn nodded, writing down some notes on his pad. "The arch-demons and Catia did give me the heads-up," he told me. "Miss Slade has really crossed the line with what she said."

"The sad part about her telling me that I didn't deserve to have a soulmate was that I almost believed her," I commented. "Even though I had the love from Minnie Jean and the other maids and servants at home, I was reminded by Mom and Dad that I wasn't deemed worthy of love since I was the product of a rapist. 'No one worth their salt would be brave enough to be with you,' Mom would hint. 'Life would be better off for me and my family if you never existed.' Unfortunately, I believed her, even after learning of Chance's death before junior year began."

"That's harsh," Thorn commented, eyes narrowed in silts.

"Well, I was used to being ignored and rejected in my home. In a way, I kind of guessed that my time was limited before I met with that gypsy who would confirm of my tragic end on Earth. As odd as it sounds, I was kind of relieved to know that I was going to die. Dad told me that being homeless or turning to crime would pose questions from the public while a mercy killing was the better way to go."

Thorn set down his pad and pen. "Any more time spent watching AUTV?"

I inhaled sharply, nodding. "Surprisingly enough, everyone was faring off without me pretty good- my family that is," I replied. "On the first day of vacation, I cried as I watched Mariah and Andrew- her boyfriend- confirm their relationship goals as a future married couple while my family was on their own vacation getaway. That's when Chance gave me some tough pills to swallow, telling me that my family except for Cameron was worth crying about since they never cared about my well-being and all. Cameron was the only one who saw me as his equal and never left me to fend for myself. Everyone else saw me as dead weight. Chance told me that I needed to focus on myself for a change and let myself love me for me in the same way that he does."