Chapter Thirty-Eight: Double Proposals

Chance and I are to marry each other.

My mind is stuck on replay with that one sentence that's been etched after the latest attempt on my and Chance's lives with a dozen poisoned cupcakes made by none other than Rosalia Domingue.

Has Rosalia gone mad with her desire for Chance?

Can things ever be normal anymore?

Is Chance even ready for this next step in our lives in the Nexus?

What if we end up incompatible?

Would he hate me for saying no?

Would I hate myself for saying no?

If I say "yes," would things stay the same or would he have a wandering eye for someone else?

"Hezekiah?"

"Hezekiah?"

"He's...in thought...stress..."

"Poor guy...everything has changed...been though too much already..."

I felt the room spinning as I soon end up being greeted by a wave of darkness that swallowed me whole.

***********************

My eyes fluttered open as I soon found myself lying on the bed that Chance and I were sharing during our stay with Lucifer and God both hovering over me. "W-what happened?" I said, stifling a yawn before sitting up on the bed.

"Panic attack, love," Lucifer intoned, giving me a sad stare. "You gave everyone a nasty fright after you passed out."

"Quite," God agreed, nodding as He sat to my left while His brother sat to my right. "Hezekiah, I've never addressed this before since you arrived, but I know that you've been through a wringer of emotions that had you feeling insecure and unstable. It's even more so after Chance told you what Lucifer and I planned for you both. I admit that you are a bit like Myself with keeping your emotions in check, but even I can tell that you have been dealing with everything in the wrong- trying to ignore all the negative emotions while assuring everyone that you're handling things just fine."

I lowered my head in shame, unable to face the Creator of Life's omniscient stare. "You're right," I admitted. "I've been trying to hold everything in when I should be able to be free and live freely. But the truth of it all remains: I'm still taking things in small stride with how I'm Your and Lucifer's kid- which is something that I'm never going to question, by the way. But it's how I'm still unsure if I'm able to find love with Chance even after we decided to cut our losses and finally be with each other after everyone on Earth kept us apart because they thought that we were too different and my family thought that I didn't deserve to find someone to love."

"Oh, Hezekiah," Lucifer said, wrapping me in a small hug briefly. "You do deserve to find love. Chance believes in you as do my Brother and myself. Even your new friends here believe in you as well. The only person who needs to believe in you is you."

"I know, but I'm just afraid of what might happen if things don't work out."

"Don't ever think that things will never be perfect, My son," God intoned. "The only thing to be afraid of is that things will never be. The ethereal bonds that you and Chance share are something that I've personally designed since you two were on Earth and seeking someone to care when no one else will. And though your families and the students and teachers believed otherwise, you know that you and Chance were meant to be."

I closed my eyes, remembering all the times that Chance and I did spend with each other although they were few in number other than the lunchtime get-togethers up until the second half of tenth grade. Things felt right whenever we did meet up to talk about classes, our home lives, and even what's going on with the other students. When we were apart, it felt as I was incomplete.

When Chance died, I knew that I had to move on as my parents and teachers demanded me to do so while my classmates continued to tarnish his reputation with false rumors and not even showing one bit of remorse. I was angry at their snide remarks and how my parents thought that they knew best about everything.

You're destined for better things other than useless friendships.

You may be an unwanted flaw, but we demand total perfection from you which means no distractions from undesirables.

Chance comes from a low-status family while you're from a powerful dynasty, Hezekiah. Some things are never meant to be, your friendship with him included. Keep your eyes focused on the prize.

I had to count my blessings for all the times that he and I shared. And now that he and I were in the Nexus, there was a chance for us to be together. But there was still the matter of Rosalia Domingue who wanted him for her own gains.

Could I do this?

Could I actually be with Chance together?

Taking a few deep breaths, I got out of bed and made a beeline for the main room where everyone was waiting for me. "Hezekiah," Chance breathed. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay," I replied. "Everything has been happening so fast, and now this."

"Tell me about it. 'Kiah, I know that we've been in the Nexus for only a while-"

"Only for three months now," Azrael remarked before being shushed by Gabriel.

"All the same," Chance continued as he stared me down, "I meant every word that I said to you before. I believe in us. I believe that you and I are meant to be as soulmates. If us being arranged to be married is a sign that we needed, then I can't afford to waste another minute. All I ask of you is that you start believing in us as well. But most of all, I want you to start believing in you as well."

I closed my eyes, knowing that all eyes were on me. My whole life on Earth was when my family made decisions for me. It was time that I made one for myself. I opened my eyes before getting on one knee. "Chance Dalton, will you marry me?" I breathed.

"Yes," Chance replied. "Hezekiah Chamblee, will you marry me?"

"Yes, I will."

"THANK YOU!!!" Everyone cheered as God and Lucifer emerged from the bedroom, both deities smiling widely.

"It's about time that you owned up and be a man," Eva remarked as Chance and I slid on the rings.

"I'll say," Carlton piped up, him snuggling closer to Colton. "So what happens now?"

God grinned widely. "This," was all he said before snapping his fingers before a bright light filled the room.

Chance and Hezekiah are heading to the altar, folks! It won't be long now before this story comes to an end!

But first, we're heading back to Earth for another wedding- one that will likely make you say OMG! That's right! It's the long-awaited two-part special featuring the Chamblee-Coleman wedding that will end with a gunshot and multiple arrests! Child, the tea and shade's that's about to go down will be one for the record books, so don't go anywhere!

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!