not so happy campers (2)

Standing on top of the cliff we peer into the water. It's very high up. The walk up was so long too. We're all dressed in our swimwear as Chris stands with a proud smile on his face.

"Today's challenge is threefold. Your first task is to jump off this one thousand foot high cliff into the lake."

"Piece of cake." Bridgette says from beside me. Me and her, with Gwen following behind us, talked the entire walk uphill. Gwen chimed in every now and then.

"If you look down you will see two target areas. The wider area represents the part of the lake that we have stocked with psychotic-maneater-sharks. Inside that area is a safe zone. That's your target area which I'm pretty sure is shark free."

"Excuse me?" Leshawna says.

"For each member of your team that jumps and actually survives, there will be a crate of supplies waiting below. Inside each crate are supplies necessary for your next part of the challenge. Building a hot tub. Whoever builds the best one gets to have a wicked hot tub party tonight. The losers will have to send somebody home."

He instructs for the Killer Bass to go first. Bridgette asks her team who's going first but no one speaks up. She then decides to take a chance and be the first one to go. One by one the rest of her teammates follow suit, some yelling in excitement like Geoff, others showing no emotion, like Duncan.

It gets to DJ's turn, and he refuses to go. "Uh uh, I'm not doin' it."

"Scared of heights?"

"Yeah, ever since I was a kid."

"That's okay buddy. Unfortanely for you, that makes you a chicken!" Chris places a chicken hat on his head. "You'll have to wear this for the rest of the day."

"Aw man." DJ sulks over to the side to take the way back down and reunite with his teammates. Chris imitates a chicken noise and points to the way down.

The homeschooled boy decides to jump next, but he hits his head on a rock. Good thing he landed in the safe zone. All his friends cheered for him and I decided to clap as well.

"Umm, who's team are you on?" Noah asks from beside me.

I shrug my shoulders at him. "This team. I just think he could use some encouragement. I mean he's never been around so many people before."

"Let me guess you're gonna hug and coddle him when you see him too?" He says clasping his hands together to mock you. You playfully roll your eyes and keep watching the challenge in front of you.

Harold goes next but lands in an awkawrd position hurting his crotch. He yells in agony as we all wince at his misfortune. Courtney was set to go next, but she wasn't budging. She tried to talk her way out of it, but instead was met with a chicken hat on her head.

"Hmm, let me tally up the results ....wait a minute. We're missing someone."

"I'm not jumping without Katie!" Sadie protests.

"We have to be on the same team Chris." The two of them start to beg Chris to swap until Izzy offers to switch with Sadie. He allows it in order to get the two girls off his case. They jump off into the lake a complete that section of the challenge for their team.

"Okay, so that's nine jumpers and two chickens. Screaming Gophers, if you can beat that we'll throw in a pull cart to put your crates on."

"Nice!" Trent says to the group. "Okay guys, who's up first?"

"I'm sorry. There's no way I'm doing this." Heather says.

"Why not?"

"Hello, national tv, I'll get my hair wet."