28.

Or, I could just call that number...

"So what's attracting you to my kids?"

"Well wit Riq, I just see me when I was younger. I could tell from the first time I got around him that he was passionate about basketball just like I am. I just feel like I can get him where he wanna be."

"And where would that be?"

"College first of course. But if we being honest I think he can get drafted after his first year is over."

"Drafted?" Joyce asked, looking at Ja like he was crazy. "Drafted in the NBA?"

"Yeah. You can get drafted once you 19 so I figured if I keep working wit him, put him in rooms he need to be in that draft pick will come easy."

"And what about his education? We all need a backup plan and he would have a good one if he stays in school and graduates."

"Respectfully, school can wait. If you let him make ball the main priority and he gets drafted, they will pay for him to go back to school if he wants to. Issa win, win for real."

"What you getting out of this?"

"Just the satisfaction that I was able to help another young black man reach his full potential. And I get to see my girl happy that her lil brother winning." Ja glanced over at Dream who was already smiling at him.

"Your girl?" Joyce looked over at Dream. "She didn't tell me y'all were in a relationship."

"Because we not, but you know what he meant."

"It won't be too much longer before we will be.. we just still getting to know each other." Ja spoke back up.

"So who came up with the idea for her to move into your house?"

"I did."

"Hm." Joyce nodded her head, taking in the information. "You really ready for that? You don't like having your own space?"

"I actually do like having my own space, but lately I rather have her in it."

"And what about Tariq?"

"He got my whole guest house to himself so he got his own space too."

"So y'all got it all planned out huh?"

"Pretty much."

"I like you." Joyce admitted. "I can't lie and say I wasn't skeptical about all of this at first because you're so young. But from what I'm seeing you're a lot more mature than what I expected which is great, I'm just still iffy about you running off with my kids." She laughed.

"Nah I get that. I promise ima take care of them though, you can trust me." Ja smiled at her. "And you can come out there to visit whenever you want to, on me. Just let Dream know and I got you."

"He be quick to send a PJ too ma." Dream laughed.

The rest of the time they spent at the restaurant was less Q&A and more of a normal conversation. Her mom seemed to actually like Ja and she kept her word, not making any side comments which Dream was grateful for. They stayed there for about another half hour before they went their separate ways, planning to meet back up the next day, after Riq's graduation.

The next morning they ended up at another restaurant, getting breakfast before it was time for Riq to go. He had to be at the stadium where the graduation was being held a couple hours before it started, so the rest of them decided to find something to do to pass time.