8.

࿐࿐࿐ 

Dinner was full of anticipation that lit Clover's body alight, he could discern the strain between Elio and his lovers. Clover had spent time in his room, skimming at the books on the shelves and listening out to all the noises the house made. He was in desperate need of shuteye but he refused to shut his eyes after the...aggression. He looked at the dish of lasagne in front of him, it had been cooked to the epitome of perfection by Elio's hands.

"Just eat what you can Clover," Elio disrupted the silence, "If you don't like it, I can make you something else,"

Clover shook his head politely, "No, it's perfect, thank you Elio,"

Clover placed his fork through the food, scooped some up and placed it in his mouth. He was captivated by the flavours, the texture and the way it softened in his mouth. He chewed it, his spirit lifting. Nearly 3 months since he had a reasonable meal, he had endured noodles at work because he could utilise the kettle in his manager's office. At one point, he had funds to treat himself but he refused to use it.

"This is delicious," Clover spoke, a small smile gracing his lips, "Are you a chef on the side?"

Elio chuckled, "No, but I should be huh?"

Clover nodded and grinned again, his smile so small he felt as if Elio hadn't noticed it. It was only directed at him anyway, the other two men were just listening and eating in stillness, their attitude deteriorated each time Clover spoke but they were withstanding the impulse to be mean to him for Elio.

As they all devoured their food in a grovelling quiet, Elio stood up and carried all the dishes further into the kitchen. Clover felt his hands sweat as he sat opposite the two men he was uncomfortable with. He shuffled further away from them, dragging his chair out from underneath the table a tiny bit more. He heard a sigh from one of them, but he didn't glance up. The wooden table was a lot more fascinating, the way some filth sat in the little crevasses of wood.

"So, Clover," It was the deep voice that came from Yuki, Clover nearly stood up to run away, "I want you to know that Elio might want you to stay but as soon as you step out of line, you're out,"

Clover comprehended the men were cautious of him, after all, he was just an outsider to them. Even if he got along with Elio, it wasn't like they were valid friends. Elio merely happened to be accomplishing his job, then felt bad for him and offered him a place to remain. Clover understood he was untrustworthy, he hadn't given them one reason to trust him or even like him. He was an intruder on their home and he felt bad they couldn't be comfortable while he was here, but he could promise them it would only be for a few days.

"I understand," Clover replied, his voice weaker than he imagined, "I promise it's just for a few days,"

"We heard," Finley said, "But we have rules here, you understand?"

"You're not threatening him are you?" Elio came back and sat down in the seat beside Clover.

"No, just letting him know he has rules to follow if he's staying," Finley responds, his tone more delicate now that Elio was present.

"The first rule," Yuki started, "No touching what isn't yours, everything outside of your spare bedroom you can't touch,"

"That's a bit dramatic," Elio sighed, although he didn't disagree, knowing it would make the already existing rift bigger between them.

"The second rule," Yuki announced, "No communication, you won't talk to us and you won't tell anyone where you are,"

"Our house is secluded for a reason," Finley added and Clover nodded.

"You can talk to me when I'm home," Elio butted in and place his hand on Clover's shoulder softly.

"Rule three," Yuki continued, "The fridge is off limits, the TV downstairs is off limits, the gym room is off limits and any bathroom outside yours,"

A lot of places he wasn't permitted to go, but for a few days, he could endure it. Clover never saw himself making his meals out of courtesy and if he had a TV in his spare room then he could merely utilise that. He didn't even know there was a gym space but he doubted he would be visiting it even if he was permitted. No bathrooms around the house but for his own solitude, he would adhere to the one beside his room. So, Clover approved all of the terms even if Elio was murmuring about it being a prison.

"Well, what would you like to do now Clover?" Elio asked him, his face expectant.

"I'm not sure," Clover shrugged, he didn't want to seem uncharitable but he was desperate for a pleasant warm shower.

"How about a shower?" He smiled at Elio as if the man could read his mind.

Clover nodded so both Elio and Clover stood up from the table and strode back to Clover's room. It was getting dimmer outside so Elio closed Clover's curtains and directed him to the restroom next to his room. It was spacious and radiant - a window which had a patterned monogram over it so people couldn't glimpse inside, not that it was that worthwhile. Clover's old bathroom which he had to himself at home was shadowed with a damaged light and he continually had to wipe up trickling water from his sink pipe. Elio's bathroom was pleasant.

"There are shampoos and conditioners inside, and body wash too," Elio explained to Clover, "If you want the shower warmer, turn the dial left,"

"Thank you, Elio," Clover announced, appreciative to be given the chance to stay someplace splendid.

"No problem," Elio smiled, "Your towel is here warming up, and feel free to use any of the creams that are under the sink,"

"Creams?"

"Yeah, they're Finley's but he never uses them," Elio rolled his eyes at the name of his lover and Clover nearly let out a short snicker.

"Thank you," It felt like the greatest words Clover could use to demonstrate his thankfulness but he wanted to communicate it more.

"Seriously Clover, it's alright," Elio announced, "Have a nice shower and I'll check on you before bed,"

Clover nodded, yanking his coat off and carefully placing it on a peg. He wasn't even conscious he hadn't taken off his run-down coat this entire time, he was prepared to be tossed out the door at a moment's notice but currently, he was willing to remove it. He looked at Elio as the man stood by the door, not moving.

"If Finley and Yuki do something to you, not that I think they will but if they hurt your feelings, please tell me,"

"It's your home, I can't expect them to be welcoming,"

"No but they should be because I invited you," Elio replied, "You're my guest and I promise you will be treated as such,"

"Elio..."

Elio hummed in acknowledgement of the younger boy - he glanced at Clover who was wringing his hands nervously in his long-sleeved shirt and his feet were pointed inwards, making him appear fearful. He quietly gathered Clover's irritated hands in his own, feeling the stern skin in his warm ones.

"What is it?"

"I'm scared I won't be able to sleep tonight," Clover confessed, his apprehension was more prominent now that with every minute passed, he felt he could pass out.

"What can I do for you?"

"I've never felt like this, not even as I slept on the streets," Clover said, his anxiety making him upset.

"Don't cry," Elio encouraged, "How about I stay with you tonight?"

Clover's worries were reduced with the proposal, it was simply the fact he needed some company he trusted in a house full of sentiments against him. His eyes let loose some tears, and he brushed them away fast, fearing he would guilt Elio. Elio chuckled softly.

"I'll take that as a yes,"

"Thank you,"