13.

࿐࿐࿐ 

Clover's work shift had proceeded as usual and Finley had come and picked him up, Elio had contacted them about being at work an additional hour to complete some paperwork. On the car ride back home, Finley was animatedly chatting about his plan for the indoor garden they were creating. Clover was reciprocating just as enthusiastically. Clover discovered himself really enjoying Finley's atmosphere, he was energetic and passionate, a complete shift from when he was angry and frightening.

When they exited the car, Yuki stood at the front door, smoking his lungs black. Clover looked at him warily and then slowly followed behind Finley as they strolled up to him. Finley had a broad smile on his face, happy to see his partner was having a day off work. On the front patio, Finley embraced Yuki in a hug that constricted his arms. Yuki positioned his chin on Finley's shoulder, bending down to reach him.

"Are you not at work?" Finley asked the Japanese man.

"No," Yuki replied, his voice dim, "They said I can't welcome myself at the office on days off,"

"Yeah that's right," Finley chuckled, "You should help us in the garden,"

Yuki let out a playful scoff, Finley was constantly attempting to get both him and Elio in the garden to help him. Elio usually opposed it because he loathed getting dirt under his nails and he would detest to get any soil into his cooking. Yuki usually rejected it because getting messy and sweaty at the same time was not his ideal way to spend his off time. Not that Yuki ever had much time off, being a detective was a lot more demanding than being a normal officer.

Yuki glanced at an awkward Clover, "No, I'll pass but if you need any help lifting stuff, give me a shout,"

"Aw, come on," Finley whined, "You never garden with me,"

"I don't want to with him there," Yuki's patience ran thin with the awkward act Clover was putting on.

Clover wasn't attempting to be a disturbance, in fact, he really believed he was going out of his way to be peaceful and non-existent around Yuki. As much as he encroached on their house and maybe even 'pinched' Yuki's partners for a few days, he didn't believe he deserved the fierce words as well. He excused himself and walked off the patio and to the garage door.

Finley didn't have the compassion to tell him that he couldn't enter the garage that route. Instead, he sighed and pivoted to look towards Yuki. Finley wasn't anticipating such an annoyed look on Yuki's face as he looked at Clover, he didn't want Yuki to dislike Clover.

"Yuki, stop that," Finley sighed again, turning Yuki's head forcefully.

"Why is he still here?"

Finley looked at the floor, looking for the words, "Because, we're helping him,"

"It's been 2 days too long," Yuki complained, sneaking glances at the boy.

Finley was getting agitated, "Come on Yuki, stop it,"

"Stop what? I mean can you believe this?" Yuki questioned, his voice rising, "Just what is Elio thinking,"

"Yuki-"

"I mean, does he even know how dangerous it is to invite him here?" Yuki shook his head.

"Yuki-"

"And now he's reading him to fucking sleep!"

"It's not just Elio!" Finley shouted in order to get a word in, he continued quietly, "I want him here,"

"What?" Yuki questioned, "What the fuck do you mean?"