33.

࿐࿐࿐

After 2 hours in the police station, Clover's lengthy visit was concluded. There was a lot of pleading, hysteria, and even a little violence. A lot was said, and a lot was done. Still, the police had to come up with one conclusion to make, one that they had to do right by the law but also one where Clover would be comfortable. Therefore, the best decision to make legally for Clover would be to send him back home.

The police officers had many explanations - a young man, legal age or not, could not become homeless if he had somewhere to live. A family home for instance, and especially if his family were searching for him. Even if he now lived with someone responsible, the government can't trust the homeless and therefore there is a law which declares that if a previous homeless now has their own property, the government can't send them back to their previous family home.

Clover did not own any property, therefore the only choice he had was to go back home. Elio was insistent about Clover staying with his lovers, but the officers must abide by the law. Although Clover and Elio weren't happy with the outcome, the officers were commendable and gave a lot of help. They told Clover he should set up as much evidence he had of his parents being negligent and abusive, so he could try them in court and redeem money of settlement. It would also allow him the help from the government to start up his independent life, in which, the government helps find inexpensive properties.

There was a lot to do, but Clover's mind was twisted in ways that didn't seem healthy. He was to return home in 2 days - he had only 2 days to pack the small life he had made in Elio's home.

Clover took one last lingering look at his room, allowing his eyes to roam over every detail, imprinting them in his memory. His gaze swept across the walls, noticing the paint colour he had always intended to change, the soft, lovely curtains that gently billowed in the breeze. The single bed, far more comfortable than the one he had at home, beckoned invitingly, its familiar cosiness etched in his mind. The forbidden TV, a forbidden luxury at home, stood silently in the corner, while the white bookshelf, adorned with his cherished collection of fantasy and LGBTQ+ literature, held a special place in his heart.

Elio had generously handed him a suitcase and then walked out of the room. Clover began with the latest clothes he was offered, he folded them with precision and consideration, his fingers lingering on the material. His books followed, he put as many as he could fit in there without destroying or squishing them. He ventured into the bathroom beside his room and guiltily took some of Finley's old creams. Clover wanted as much comfort as he could take with him.

After packing everything that belonged to him, his suitcase was still a little empty but he zipped it up and put it to one side.

He exited his emptier room, and the whole house was silent. Finley should be home by now, but there was no sound to suggest he had come home at all. Clover walked down the stairs, the fluffy socks on his feet silencing his step. The house was almost eerie, most of the lights were off and no one was there in the sitting room or the kitchen. Clover's heart started beating fast, his feet running down the stairs quicker.

"Elio?" He called out, his voice echoing slightly.

There was no answer. Clover wandered through the house, he peeked into the gym and the downstairs bathroom. He came to the back doors, leading out into the garden, and he peeked out past the open door. Elio and Finley were standing outside, near the picket fence. As night fell, Clover took a moment to admire the garden and was struck by its exceptional beauty. The charming green picket fence was elegantly decorated with delicate fairy lights, casting a warm and enchanting glow throughout the garden.

Finley and Elio were holding each other, their forlorn expressions obvious even from a distance. Both of them were exuding an aura of sadness, radiating an unnoticeable blueness. Clover stood silently at the door, his eyes fixed on them with a bittersweet smile tugging at the corners of his lips. He couldn't shake off the feeling that he was responsible for their sadness, as if his presence had brought about a heavy atmosphere of melancholy.

He began thinking about how he wished he could be different. A different family with normal traditions, where he could do as he wished and not be restricted. He began wishing he could've met the three men normally too, perhaps at a bar, or in a garden shop. He wished he could provide for them as much as they have done for him, care for them because he knew how to. He wished to be someone else as he looked among the two of them.

"Clover..."

He looked up at the two men who had noticed him by the doorway. Clover was overcome with wanting to say as many apologies as he could, till his throat dried up. Yet, he saw the smiles on their faces as they came up to him and he didn't want to ruin the beauty playing on their lips. Instead, Clover smiled and stepped out with them, he put his arms around their waists and dragged them back to the furthest part of the garden.

"I packed everything," Clover spoke quietly.

"You shouldn't have," Finley said, "Yuki will find something before you go,"

Clover knew it wouldn't happen, not really but he smiled and nodded for Finley's sake.

"It doesn't matter what happens," Clover spoke quietly, "Is Yuki at work now?"

"He never came home," Elio spoke beside him, "He must be sleeping there just to find something,"

"Well," Clover sighed at his dedicated lover, "Can he come home before I go?"

"Why?" Elio asked, "Don't you want him to find something?"

Clover nodded, "Of course, but he won't find something in 2 days,"

"You don't know that," Finley spoke, "You don't know,"

"I want him home," Clover spoke quietly, not wanting to make them angry, "I want us to do something together,"

The older men were quiet for a few seconds before Finley snorted a little bit and then ran his hand passionately through Clover's hair.

"What do you want to do then?" Finley asked.

Clover took a second to think - his eyes drifted away from his lovers to the tree line in the distance. The forest beyond their garden was pitch black, Clover could barely see the trees beyond the first few. A scene materialized in his mind, a peaceful serene image where everyone could unwind and spend the last day together.

"I want a picnic," Clover announced, "In a meadow or forest,"

"A picnic huh?" Elio announced happily, "I'd love to cook some picnic food,"

"Hmm, Clover, are you at work tomorrow?" Finley asked him and Clover nodded, "I'll pick you up, so how about we go shopping and collect Yuki after?"

Clover nodded happily, a big smile coming onto his face, "Yes, let's do that,"

Finley was the first to retire, he kissed Clover and Elio's cheeks and ventured back into the house, a protection from the oncoming wind.

"Come on, your socks will get dirty," Elio chuckled and kissed Clover's cheeks before offering his hand to help him cross the stepping stones to the stairs into the house.