23.

࿐࿐࿐

Yuki and Elio concluded their conversation and successfully exchanged sincere apologies to make up. They returned to the garden, seeing Finley and Clover tending and saturating seeds. Although Elio had seen the sight multiple times, he could never suppress the feelings welling in his chest. He felt so utterly satisfied there was a fourth to help Finley garden, to make cooking fun again and another introvert that Yuki could relate to.

"So, how often do we need to water them?" Clover asked Finley both of them unaware of the other two by the door.

"I would say once every week, maybe less, it all depends on the weather," Finley replied as he sat beside Clover on the grass.

"I see," Clover nodded, "Well, hopefully it rains lots for them to grow,"

"With it being summer soon, I kind of doubt it," Finley sighed.

"It's forecasted to rain tomorrow," Yuki called out to them, grabbing everyone's attention.

Clover grinned at the both of them, he stood up from the grass and brushed himself off. He didn't want to haul in any grass or soil from gardening as he strode up to the steps. Clover made eye contact with Elio first, he attempted to read his countenance but it was almost guarded. Clover wondered how their conversation went and what had become of it.

"Did you make up?" Clover hesitantly asked.

Elio let out a sigh, "We decided to break up,"

Clover's breath caught in his throat - it was such a shock. He couldn't accept it, his senses went into overdrive. He had to save this relationship, he would acknowledge every responsibility, and take the blame but Elio had to forgive Yuki. He would depart the house immediately if he had to. Clover looked at Yuki who was examining Elio strangely, then he glanced back at Finley who looked nearly as horrified as Clover did.

"You can't be serious, Elio..." Finley stepped in, looking intently at the younger man.

"You're right," Elio chuckled, "I'm just kidding!"

Finley let out a big sigh, his shoulders slumping dramatically. Elio's laughter captured all of them by surprise and Finley gently shoved him backwards.

"God, don't do that shit," Finley expressed, and Elio's kissed his cheek.

Clover was still in shock, he was observing from the bottom of the steps with his mouth hanging, catching flies. He stood like a sculpture, wondering what had just occurred. It was the first time he had seen Elio actually play a trick on them, and it was about breaking up! Clover felt astonished and almost betrayed - the three men breaking up was one of his worst fears.

Yuki witnessed the young male at the bottom of the stairs and started chuckling to himself. He walked down and put his hands on Clover's shoulders, waking him up from the shock.

"Does Elio always do jokes like that?" Clover asked, "If he does, I'll have to tell him to stop,"

Yuki laughed, "He doesn't but I guess he's in a good mood,"

"A good mood?" Clover asked in surprise, "He's like that in a good mood?"

Yuki nodded with a smile - he found Clover's shock at the joke authentic and charming. His adoring response made Yuki's heart flutter - it was with the knowledge he knew Clover would rather hear any other information than them breaking up, despite not being in the relationship. Yuki could sense the naïve sweetness coming from Clover, simply wanting the best for the people around him. Yuki began thinking how he could've ever doubted him.