🌧️

Hui Yan Xianzhu

Hui Yan Xianzhu

----

Chapter 13 – Fallen Consort

The grand hall of the Palace of Eternal Longevity buzzed with activity as the monthly greetings commenced.

Hui Yan, now Houjin Xianzhu and adoptive daughter of the Empress Dowager, stood gracefully beside the Empress Dowager.

While the high-ranking consorts of the Palace stay seated upon their respective thrones.

Among them was Chu Bei Ya, daughter of the Chief Secretary, who approached the Empress Dowager's throne with a respectful bow, mindful of her lower rank compared to Hui Yan.

Noble Consort Yi, standing beside her niece Chu Bei Ya, observed the proceedings with a calculating gaze.

She knew well the intricate web of alliances and aspirations that governed the harem's politics.

"Your Majesty, may I speak with His Highness, the Fourth Prince, for a moment?" asked Hui Yan.

The Empress Dowager nodded.

Her mind was preoccupied with the delicate balance of power and the future prospects of her family.

As Chu Bei Ya knelt before the Empress Dowager and exchanged pleasantries, her mind raced with thoughts of ambition.

She had heard whispers of Noble Consort Yi's desire to see her niece wed into the imperial family, particularly to the Fourth Prince.

It was a strategic move, one that could elevate their family's status significantly.

Meanwhile, across the hall, the Fourth Prince conversed quietly with Hui Yan.

Noble Consort Yi watched the interaction between Hui Yan and the Fourth Prince with a mixture of concern and opportunity.

She understood the potential benefits of having Hui Yan as her daughter-in-law: the Empress Dowager's favor, Hui Yan's intellect in handling palace affairs, and the stability it could bring to her son's future.

Yet, her gaze also flickered towards Chu Bei Ya, who now rose from her greeting and stood beside her aunt.

Chu Bei Ya's eyes gleamed with determination, fueled by her own aspirations to become Crown Princess.

She believed that the Sixth Prince, as the son of the Emperor and Empress, would eventually ascend to the throne, making her position as his consort a powerful one.

Noble Consort Yi deliberated silently, weighing her options.

If Chu Bei Ya could secure the Sixth Prince's favor and eventually become the Crown Princess, it would mean a different kind of influence and power for their family—one that could rival even that of Hui Yan and the Fourth Prince.