Chapter 1 ~ going solo ~

Pon stood beside the rickety old bus stop which was on a long country lane just off the highway, he held a bag in one hand and his note pad in the other. Jensen or Duane usually went with him to the nearest town but they were really busy today and even though they hadn't wanted him to go alone, he had assured them that he would be ok.

Duane had written down all the information he was likely to need, what time the bus came and the number of the bus, the stop where he needed to get off, the store where he needed to go and the items he needed to purchase from the store and Pon had them both on speed dial in case of emergency but what could possibly happen?

Pon had woken up in hospital about two years ago with no memory of how he had got there or of his life prior to that, he only knew what the doctors had told him which was that a handsome man with long silvery hair had carried him in to the emergency room one day and said that he had found him unconscious.

When he had regained consciousness they had run numerous tests on him but couldn't find a logical explanation as to why he had blacked out.

He was however diagnosed with short term memory loss so with no family or friends to call on they had let him choose his own name and he had gone with the name Pon, he felt as if it suited him and that it would be easy to remember.

The police had been involved but they couldn't find any information on Pon or the man who had carried him into the hospital that day not least because the security footage was glitching so it was impossible to get a clear image of the guy.

With no other reason to keep him under observation they had released him with a modest amount of cash that the staff had collected for him and several pamphlets and information on how to deal with his disability including the address of a local hostel where he could find cheap lodging.

The only comfort that the doctors had given him was that his memory may return at some point in the future but to try not to force it.

He had found a thrift store and purchased a change of clothes, a rucksack that looked almost new, a small notebook and some pens and the lady in charge of the store had thrown in a few extra items of clothing for free.

After walking a little farther he had stopped by a convenience store and purchased a sandwich and a bottle of water and on impulse he had treated himself to a packet of candy fangs, he didn't know why but he felt as if he would like them.

As he wandered down the high street wondering what to do next he had spotted a tattoo parlor and he had felt compelled to go inside. The doctors had told him that he had a tattoo of a lotus flower on the back of his neck and he wondered if the people in the parlor knew anything about it? 

When they had said they didn't carry that design he asked them to ink his name on his wrist, just three small letters ~ P O N ~ in case he forgot again and then after he left the parlor he had just walked around asking for work in exchange for food and a bed for the night and that's how he had survived the early days.

He got into the habit of writing everything down in case he needed to refer back to it and it seemed to work.

Several months later he had been taking a short cut across some fields and had come across a man who was working in his garden so he had asked him if he needed any help? The man had offered him some food and Pon had replied yes but only if he could work for it then he had finished the digging for him.

Later that day the man called Jensen had offered him room and board in exchange for doing jobs in and around his property and Pon had gratefully accepted and he'd been there ever since. When there were no more jobs left to do at Jensen's house he had found jobs in the surrounding community and everyone had been so kind.