58 ➹ we should hate you

fortnight  | taylor swift ft

fortnight | taylor swift ft. post malone
❝ and no one's here to blame
but what about your quiet treason? ❞

"DID YOU REALLY have to go through all of that?" I groan, digging my back further into the tree that I'd taken refuge in the second Reid had started to talk. I can feel the peeled bark breaking off onto my deep blue suit.

"I'm trying to elongate Dad's livelihood."

I flex my hand that isn't holding the phone, and lick at my lips. I've been thirsty all night and not for water. All I've been fucking drinking is water and it's driving me insane. "...Right, because I'm the one that causes him the most stress." I puncture out, speaking through the desire to get my hand on something strong.

Reid might be renowned as the perfect son to the public, but the kid's a mess.

"Hold that tongue of yours, Luca."

"Why? You know it's true." I shrug, despite him not being able to see me.

"I didn't call you to bicker." I can almost imagine what Reid is doing right now. He's probably in his dorm room at Princeton, sitting at the edge of the bed with his elbows on his knees.

He's always held that position — benchside on the court after he's lost his temper, at home when he's thinking his mess of a life over, and when he's giving me lectures. Reid never relaxes. 

"Then why'd you call?" I ask, being a little shit. He hates when I make him repeat things, but as his little brother I know being annoying is my only duty.

"For the rules."

"I think you missed one, though," I muse.

"Really?" He sounds so genuine I almost feel bad for what I'm about to say. "I'm pretty sure I went through them all?"

"Nah you forgot not sleeping with your best friend's younger sister." I don't know what drugs he was on when he thought getting with Valè was an alright idea, but if they're that strong I'm not opposed to trying them.

His best friend's younger sister? My bestfriends bestfriend? When did he even have the time? Was it a one-time thing? What kind of fucked up romcom is that?

No wonder the girl hates me.

My brother fucked her and then probably fucked her over.

"I didn't sleep with her. You know, you shouldn't be so quick to trust some stupid gossip site."

"Don't try to play dumb. I know you did."

"Why? is that what she said?"

"Why would I even be talking to her?" The chick hates my guts, and despite not fully reciprocating the feeling of pure detest, I'm not a fan of her either. "I'm not a fucking idiot. You don't get that close to having a girl naked and not fuck." Does Reid think I'm eight years old? Does he really think I'm dumb enough to not have seen those pictures, against my will, and not known what happened next?