(12) Twelve

The cold, damp air of the cell sent shivers through [Y/N]'s spine. She sat against the rough stone wall. In the other cell, Eren paced restlessly, the chains around his wrists clinking with each step. They had been left alone, forgotten in the shadows, and the silence between them was heavy with unspoken thoughts.

But he couldn't give up so easily. With a determined glare, he slammed his chained hands against the wall repeatedly, his face contorted in pain and fury. Each impact sent shockwaves of agony through his body, but he didn't stop. The woman standing in the adjacent cell could hear the sickening thuds and the clinking of the chains, her heart aching with every sound. Finally, with a final, desperate blow, the chains broke. His wrists were raw and bloodied, but he didn't seem to care. He rushed to the bars of her cell, his green eyes blazing with urgency. 'What kind of... what kind of force do you need to have to do something like this?!' the stunned girl thought as she looked at him.

"[Y/N]," he called out, his voice strained. "I'm getting us out of here."

Before he could continue, the blaring sound of the emergency alarm echoed through the cell block. Eren froze, his eyes darting to the heavy iron door. Panic flashed across his face.

"I have to go," he said, his voice tight with frustration and regret. "I have to see what's going on. I'll come back for you, I promise."

Before she could protest, the titan shifter was gone, his footsteps fading into the distance. [Y/N]'s heart sank, a mix of fear and abandonment settling in the pit of her stomach. She slumped back against the wall, feeling more alone than ever.

Minutes ticked by, stretching into an eternity, until the sound of approaching footsteps broke the silence. But these were not the heavy, confident steps of an adult; they were lighter, almost hesitant. The cell door creaked open, and a young boy stepped into the dim light. He was small, with a mop of dark hair and striking red eyes that seemed out of place in his youthful face. Dark circles marred the skin beneath his eyes, giving him a haunted look. Without a word, he approached the woman and began to handcuff her, his movements practiced and efficient.

[Y/N] watched him, her curiosity piqued. "Who are you?" she asked softly, trying to make sense of the small boy standing before her. He didn't respond, his focus remaining on the task at hand. As he secured the cuffs, [Y/N] tried again. "I've never seen you before. Are you new here?"

The boy finally met her gaze, his red eyes piercing through the dim light. There was a depth to them that spoke of experiences far beyond his years.

"My name..." he said, his voice barely above a whisper, "is Twelve."

[Y/N]'s brow furrowed in confusion. "Twelve? But why are you called that?"

He paused, as if considering how much to reveal. "Because I'm twelve."

"Yes, but why—Oh." The realization hit her like a cold splash of water. "You're twelve years old?"

So he was Eleven once? Ten? Nine? This boy never had a real name?

He nodded, a shadow passing over his face. "I'm Twelve. That's all you need to know."

The [H/C] haired woman's heart ached for the boy, seeing the burden he carried so young. "I'm sorry," she said gently.

Before she could say more, Twelve pulled her to her feet and led her out of the cell. They walked through the labyrinthine corridors of the underground facility, [Y/N]'s mind racing with questions and fear.

"Where are you taking me?" she asked.

"To Kenny," Twelve replied, his tone flat.

"Who is Kenny?" she pressed, her voice trembling slightly as they continued down the dimly lit corridor.