Chapter 4

Morgan

A week had passed since my unexpected encounter with Shawn at the hotel. Life continued with its usual rhythm, yet that night lingered in my thoughts.

The allure of Shawn's words and his undeniable attraction towards me was both intriguing and troubling. But for now, I needed to focus on my work and my clients.

I was in my cozy, tastefully decorated therapy room, waiting for my next client, Alma. Alma had been seeing me for a few months, struggling with her dissatisfaction at work. She was an accountant by profession but had an artist's heart, yearning to break free from the confines of her mundane job.

Alma arrived promptly, as usual, her face a mixture of anxiety and hope. She settled into the chair opposite me, her eyes reflecting the turmoil within.

"Hello Dr. Morgan," she greeted, her voice trembling slightly.

"Hi, nice to see you again, Alma!" I smiled at her.

"I've been thinking a lot about our last session, and I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I hate my job. Every day feels like a prison sentence, but I'm terrified of quitting and pursuing art full-time. What if I fail? What if I regret it?"

I leaned forward, my expression softening.

"Alma, it's natural to feel scared when faced with such a significant decision. The fear of the unknown can be paralyzing, but it's important to weigh the risks and rewards."

She nodded, her hands fidgeting in her lap.

"I know. But how do I know if it's worth the risk?"

"Let's break it down," I suggested.

"What does staying in your current job offer you?"

"Stability, a steady income, and a sense of security," she replied, her voice laced with resignation.

"And what does pursuing art offer you?" I asked, already knowing the answer but wanting her to vocalize it.

"Fulfillment, passion, and the chance to do something I truly love," she said, her eyes lighting up momentarily before dimming again.

"But it also comes with uncertainty and the possibility of failure."

"True," I agreed. "But consider this: are you willing to continue feeling trapped and unfulfilled for the sake of security? Or is the potential for happiness and satisfaction worth the risk?"

Alma's eyes welled up with tears, and she took a deep breath.

"I don't want to live with regrets, Doc. But the fear is so overwhelming."

"Fear is a powerful emotion," I acknowledged. "But it's also a signal that something significant is at stake. Instead of letting it paralyze you, let it guide you. Prepare yourself as best as you can, but also be willing to take that leap. Sometimes, the greatest rewards come from stepping outside our comfort zones."

"You mentioned that you don't want to live with regrets, aren't you wondering about regretting one day for not taking the risk? For letting your fear get through you?" I asked her.

She paused for a while.

"Now that I think about it, it makes sense." She said with teary eyes.

"Exactly." I smiled at her.

"I haven't thought about it that way. Therapies like this do help me a lot, thank you." I can sense the happiness in her eyes as she said those lines.