Chapter 7

"W-what are you doing here?" I said shockingly.

"Morgan," he said, stepping a few feet from me. "I wanted to apologize for last night. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or put you in a difficult situation."

I crossed my arms, maintaining a composed exterior. "Shawn, it's not about you making me uncomfortable. It's my friend."

"I get that," he replied quickly. "But I embarrassed you for how I acted." 

"Shawn, being kind and respectful toward others should be an easy thing to do, but you can't do it properly." I sighed.

Before Shawn could respond, his phone rang. He glanced at the screen, and his expression shifted to one of urgency. "I'm sorry, Morgan. I have to take this."

He answered the call, his tone becoming business-like. "Yes, what is it? An emergency at the office? I'll be there right away."

He turned back to me, looking genuinely apologetic. "Sorry but I have to go, I'll be back after."

I just nodded and watch him hurried away. 

Shawn's sincerity was undeniable, but my walls were built high for a reason. I have to act hard to get I want him to be obsessed over me.

As I walked back into the clinic, Fielle looked up from her desk, curiosity written all over her face. "Who was that?"

"Herberto's boss," I said casually, not wanting to dive into details. "He had something important to discuss."

Fielle nodded, accepting my explanation. I glanced at the clock and realized I had some time before my next patient. My stomach growled, reminding me that I hadn't eaten since breakfast. I pulled out my phone and ordered some food from Food Panda.

While waiting for the food to arrive, I picked up a psychology book from my desk titled The Anxious Generation: How the Great Rewiring of Childhood is Causing an Epidemic of Mental Illness by: Jonathan Haidt

In The Anxious Generation, social psychologist Jonathan Haidt lays out the facts about the epidemic of teen mental illness that hit many countries at the same time. He then investigates the nature of childhood, including why children need play and independent exploration to mature into competent, thriving adults. 

Reading always helped me focus, and I was particularly interested in understanding the roots of anxiety and how it intertwined with other mental health issues.

A knock on my office door interrupted my reading.

I walked towards the door and slowly opened it, as I looked up, I saw a tall man standing outside, holding a paper bag with my order. As I reached out to take the bag, our hands brushed briefly. 

He smiled sweetly. "Your order, ma'am," he said with a friendly smile.

"Thank you," I replied, not giving much thought to the brief contact.

I was more focused on getting back to my reading and preparing for my next patient.

I sat back down, opened my food, and continued to read.

The book delved into how anxiety could lead to depression if left untreated and how the two often coexisted in a vicious cycle. Understanding these connections was crucial for providing effective therapy to my patients.

A little while later, Fielle buzzed in. "Your next patients are here, Dr. Winsley."

"Thank you, Fielle. Send them in."